NJ code question

Hey, it's been a while since I've checked in. Got a question for us Jersey guys. A guy I know has two houses, he lives in one & is fixing up the other, possibly to rent or sell. He's done all the work in this house himself but the plumbing, which he has asked me to advise him on. The house needs to have the DWV piping re-roughed & new water piping installed. He is being told by the building dept. in his town that he must hire a licensed plumber to do the work & have his plumbing permit signed & sealed by a master plumber. I think the town official who told him this is wrong. Is there a state law in NJ saying that a homeowner cannot do his own plumbing work in his own house? If it passes inspection, what difference does it make who does it? I could understand if he was trying to do this for his next door neighbor, in a house he doesn't own. Bottom line is, the guy really can't afford to do what the town is telling him to do. I am a licensed master plumber and, of course, I am reluctant to sign & seal a permit for work I am not actually doing, which is what he would like me to do.

Comments?

Tyler

Reply to
TJE

Federal law says the local authority must keep 3 copies for use by the general pubic to use. Federal law is above state law. He must pay for the permit. He must show a drawing of the plumming. It must be only for HIS home and for him to live in it.

He must obtain a permit follow the code and pass inspection. [ passing inspection is very hard if you do not know the code.]

The plumming code is law and is for the benefit of the public as its a public health law. This is no joke nor any place to make mistakes. Its best he pay a Master to at least make a drawing, but due to a possible lawsuit few masters would so.

I in fact thought it would be a great idea to use Auto Cad drawings and sell them for each DIY. [ Like a doctor, why should I make house calls ?] It did not work.

Reply to
Red Jacket

Mistake; The local authority must keep 3 copies of The Plumming Code for use by the general public.

Reply to
Red Jacket