Need Help: Soldering

Hello,
I am having to replace some leaking sections of copper pipe in my house & 1 part of the original pipe doesn't seem to want to accept solder. I have cleaned both the pipe and the couple with sandpaper, put flux on both the pipe and the interior of the couple, etc. but I can't seem to get it to hold water. All of the other sections are fine--it's only at the original pipe closest to the entrance to the house. The pipe is 3/4" copper & was probably installed when the house was built in 1978.
Any ideas why this is happening? I have cut out & redone 3 times with the same result.
TIA
--

-Richard

Probably still got water in it. Use a compression joint. If you must use solder, make sure there isn't water anywhere near the joint and use a BIG torch. Also, make sure the pipe is really 3/4" and not 22mm.
Christian.

Thanks