Nail covers..

Idiot blanks, whatever you call them, the things you nail on to protect a pipe from Aunt Bertha driving her picture frame into copper water lines..
The question is, can they touch the copper pipe? We had a bathroom added and my cousin (call him vinny) who's in construction said they cant touch the copper because they are steel and will corrode the copper..(a couple were touching)
The plumber chuckled and said "Copper DOESNT corrode"..
Any input appreciated, we havent closed the walls yet..
Also apologies if this has been answered before, I couldnt figure out any search which might get a hit, dont know what the plates are called!
Cheers
On 07/07/03 snipped-for-privacy@cityserve.com (Arroyo) writes in part:

They are called Saftey or Nail plates

NO. And while copper on it's own MAY not corrode, when in contact with a dis-similar material and any moisture is present (even humidity) the other material MAY cause corrosion that MAY damage the pipe.
Doug