Moen faucet problem

Hi: I have 2 Moen lavatory faucets that are hard to lift and open for water. I have cleaned them and re-applied a plumbing grease on the insides around the O rings but they are still very difficult to lift.
Do I need to replace the O rings, or is there a special Moen lubricant to use?
Thanks
Maybe you over tightened the ring ? Back it off some. Its a common problem in plumming. You let any nut drip some then tighten by hand until the leak stops.
Replace the O rings if you have a black substance left on your fingers after handling. Vaseline is fine as a lubricant. Many here would prefer KY jelly, but is dissolves in water.

Maybe
Perhaps on rare occasions

Totally false. The petroleum in vaseline can damage the neoprene O-ring in less than 24 hrs. You must use a non-petroleum lubricant, preferrably a clear silicone paste.
John, it sounds like your having problems with the old style brass (#1200) control. It was never intended to be taken apart by homeowners and lubricated.
Do yourself a favor and replace the old Moen control with the current composite (#1225) control. If they get hard to operate they are easily lubricated.
Doug
Doug and others: Tnx for your info. I did some more investigating and found that the two small O rings inside the stem had swollen from age and thereby making it hard to lift. After much searching I found that the proper size O rings to use is a 7/16" OD X 1/4" ID X 3/32" thick ring, often referred to as a size #78 by Danco. I found the O rings for $.25 each. This, including a small dab of silicone grease did the job. Incidentally, the same 3 items sell for about $3.50 at Home Depot, under the Moen item #117, if one can find it.
PLUMBGURU2 wrote:

Ok Doug, you are right on Vaseline, but I used it on my own Valley made faucets. They still work fine !? Hmmmmm that was a couple years ago. Could be Plummers Luck. On over tightening.....I hire it seems ' relations' all are over 200 Lbs and 6'4'' they are a bit strong. If they put in a electric outlet, the home owner often complains they need a screwdriver with channel locks to unscrew the screws..... I HATE leaks from someone over tightening anything. Its a real time waster. I myself never had a leak in my whole life ! Yep.
responded

Depends ?