Lubricant for PVC

Is there a lubricant that is safe for PVC that I may have around the house? I want to be able to take apart PVC pipe joints easily and repeatedly. I don't want to glue them together... ever.

Dishwashing liquid.
Bob Wheatley
What are you planning to run through that PVC pipe?
Why don't you want to glue those pipes?
Tell us more.
If you're running waste through those pipes, then yes, GLUE THEM. If your plumbing a little outdoor sink or something, that's different. Give us more information.
On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 18:34:12 -0700, "TomWoodman"

SAWDUST! It's for a woodworking dust control system. I have to do a lot of fitting to get it set up right. I found the answer... good furniture wax... applied then buffed.
BTW is it me or do those PVC elbows and tees and wyes have a very slight taper to give them a snug fit?
Tom

That's a good idea. I would recommend that you use glue for some of the joints. Does your system blow sawdust or suck (vacuum) sawdust?
If you glue some of the joints, you're less likely to have them fall apart. It won't hurt anything, but it's a major pain in the ass.
mike
On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 17:31:52 -0700, "TomWoodman"

These joints arent going to fall apart Mike. The slip fits are tight, that's why I want to lube them. The system sucks...lol Tom

Blackbeard wrote:

For the dust collection system in my wood shop I used the thin wall (and cheaper) storm drain pipe and fittings. I duct taped the joints. Don't forget to run a bare copper wire inside all the pipe sections and wire nut them together at the fittings. This prevents dangerous build up of static electricity.
MM

I completely understand how static buildup would occur here but is it really dangerous. Can it trigger an explosion like with flour dust or is is just that you might jerk your hand into a blade when you get shocked.
I also recommend the wire as it will make the dust more manageable if it is not charged (when it could build up in unexpected places)
I just read a 15 page document from some PhD at MIT who says that this static explosion thing is just a myth. He says he was unable to find any reported cases of explosions in home workshop systems. In carefully controlled lab experiments it was almost impossible to get a dust cloud to explode. He thinks the manufacturers are just covering their asses. Anyway, I am doing what you have done in regards to the thin wall pipe etc. but I found I have to use several of the more expensive splicers to get the flex hose connected. Thanks for the info.

TomWoodman wrote:

Yeah, the flex pipe and fittings are expensive and they don't flow well. I piped my system entirely with rigid pipe and fittings, but then I'm the plumber. ;o)
MM
That's a good idea, I was worried you were starting your own "Blue Man Group"
(in case you've never seen them, they use a PVC pipe constructed percussion instrument in the show)

there are no hub connectors as well, search the web for them. even pvc unions.

Yeah!! I like those guys!

Kewl ! Just don't make the thing look pretty. 90's will make the vacuum less efficient. Use 45's.