Locked Gate valve

Hi. I need to close this valve which is locked solid , I havn`t tried to force it in case I break it ie: use a lever or wrench. I`ve been puting WD40 on it and the valve is in new looking condition(no corrosion)Still can`t move it. Here is a pic of the type of valve
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/kimbo321/Gatevalve.jpg Any help for a total amature? Thanks Kim
If you can stop the water in there they come apart. If it looks new they should be no problem to close.
You're turning this valve in the proper direction ? See if the arrow on the valve stop body is facing the proper direction.
WD40 is for water displacement, its NOT a penetrating oil.

Lefty = loosy Righty = tighty IOW, turn it clockwise (looking straight on at the handle) to close it. Counter clockwise to open it.
Bob Wheatley
Thank you for your replies, thought it must be clockwise to close it but it wont move either way, i`ve tried with my bear hands and with a cloth for better grip. Does that nut just below the handle lock it or some thing ? What I`m attemting to do is replace the pump in the shower unit(easy part) but I need to turn off the watter supply to it(hard part)Do you think if I got some penetrating oil it may free it. Is not a plumber :-( Kim

The nut below the handle is a packing nut that is used to seal the stem penetration from the valve body. It won't hurt to loosen it some, but I doubt that's the problem. If you cannot close the valve by hand then your only real choice is to use adjustable pliers (channel-locks). Either that or find another valve upstream to shut down the system.
Bob Wheatley
bang on it with hammer then use a wrench to turn the handle. it will open or it will break. I would go into this project with the intention of prob replaceing the gate valve with a ball valve. The product you pictured is shit and does not belong anywhere, use a sweat connection ball valve.

We sometimes call gate valves 'one-time use valves'. You may be able to get the valve closed, but it won't surprise me if it breaks in the closed position. try shutting off the water at the meter.
A little Teflon on it once a year and they open and close... like well,...... new in my house 28 years now. Just a little on the stem and at least open and close it some once a year, I make it part of my clean & oil my furnace and boiler week job.
HINT; Never keep any valve open all the way, back off a 1/4 turn just to prevent the problem this guy has.

get
Try loosening the packing nut at the top (first one around the shaft) about 1/8 to 1/4 a turn then try the valve. This may cause a temporary leak but can be retightened after you close the valve. Someone may have overtightened this nut to stop a leak around the shaft and in doing so, virtually locked the shaft.
wrote in message

Thanks you guys had to get a plumber in the end to change the valve Kim Snipped