leaking shower diverter

new home owner here looking for a little advice.

My tub faucet when turned on comes out both the tap and the shower diverter, not the shower but the diverter.

Is there a general reason for this? or is it an expensive or just an o ring.

I am hoping that I will nt have to take out a hole.

I appreciate any and all help with this, thanks.

Reply to
the dork knight

"the dork knight"

If you can wrestle the handle and trim off, the diverter will unscrew with the proper wrench or socket (we're assuming this to be a three handle faucet, right?). Make sure the diverter is halfway open when you remove it. Then take the whole thing to the local plumbing store or old-fashoned hardware store where someone can give you the right stuff. This could also mean just replacing the whole thing.

Reply to
Mike Grooms

Sounds like they installed one of those 2-handle tub valves without using a twin ell. You may have to pull the whole thing out and plumb it in the right way.

Reply to
Blackbeard