Kohler Pompton Toilet

Does anyone know what would cause this toilet to not flush properly. It almost never flushes completely. It sounds like there is a constriction preventing the flush water from entering the bowl quickly enough. There is a 1/2 inch supply line at around 50 psi. If I add a little water (from a bucket) while the toilet is in the process of flushing, it will flush correctly. I have considered replacing the innards at a cost of around $265, but am not sure it would be money well spent. Any thoughts anyone might have on this would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Reply to
desiglass

Some Kohler water closets feature a flapper chain with a float attached. I remember the float needs to be positioned in just the right place on the chain or you get a short flush.

MM

Reply to
Mark Monson

On 10/25/04 "desiglass" snipped-for-privacy@stny.rr.com writes in part;

Pompton toilets were discontinued about 20 years ago. If you are absolutely positive that the water supply connecting to the tank is 1/2" (the recommended minimum) there are at least 2 possible problems right off the top of my head.

The first is the china trapway may be occluded (choked down) with an accumulation of lime and calcium. This interferes with the siphonic action which evacuates the bowl drawing waste down. To correct this problem, remove the water in the bowl and pour a quart of hydrochloric acid in the bowl and let it set for 2 to 3 hours or until clean.

The second is the seal under the plunger which shuts the water off (assuming the valve is the original). Over time the seal (because of pressure from the plunger) will become deformed and will no longer let water flow in as quickly as it once did. A kit which has a new plunger, seal and seat is available. I think I'd try this solution first.

The kit I'm referring to can be seen here:

it does not include the top brass lever component.

For further information contact me at: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Doug

Reply to
PLUMBGURU2