kitchen sink

Hello all,

I think my kitchen faucet is broken. When i turn the hot water knob on, there a weird squeaking noise and it doesn't turn smoothly. Indeed, when i turn the hot water knob, i can feel the valve underlying the knob snap, at which point the hot water flow is abruptly changed. Moreover, i can't cut off the hot water completely, cause when i turn and set the hot water knob in the closed position, the water is still running. The cold water knob is also starting to show some weird behavior (doesn't completely cut off the cold water flow when closed...). As you can see, something is not right.

I'm considering changing my faucet assembly this week-end.

I was wondering if:

- i have to change everything, or just some underlying part of the faucet assembly?

- are faucet assemblies of standard dimensions?

- if i do change the whole thing, do i have to apply some sort of waterproofing material (such as silicon) on parts of the new faucet, or do i simply need to take the old faucet out and screw the new one in?

- are new faucet assemblies expensive? i mean, around how much does the most basic one cost?

thanks fred

Reply to
Frederic Elias

Freddy,

Most kitchen faucets are the same dimesions. If the faucet measures about 10 or 11 inches, then it's the standard 8" center holes. The hard part is getting the old faucet off. It may require a basin wrench. If you can shut off your water to the faucet, then remove the old one and take it to a shop or store where they can dispense some advice. Get a Delta, Moen, Gerber faucet, or something of equal quality. The new flex supply tubes should make installation very easy.

Reply to
Mike Grooms