Kitchen faucet swivel problem

I have a weird problem with an American Standard cartridge-type kitchen faucet. I can't seem to find a middle ground for tightening the faucet assembly in the base. In order to prevent the entire cartridge housing from turning when I attempt to swivel the spigot, I have to tighten the mounting nut so much that it then takes a lot of force to swivel the spigot. However, if I leave the mounting nut any less tight, the entire faucet body turns freely in the base. It seems like there should be a way to lock the cartridge housing to prevent it from turning, while allowing the spigot to swivel more freely. I've tried applying a couple different lubricants at the joints, but with no success. Has anyone encountered this problem and conquered it? Many thanks, Greg in California
On 05/07/04 snipped-for-privacy@miracosta.edu (Greg) writes in part:

What lubricants are you using?
Any lubricant with petroleum in it will damage the o-rings that seal the spout to the faucet body exacerbating the problem.
We strongly suggest a paste type silicone lubricant. The spout should swing smoothly. It will need to be reapplied from time to time to keep the action smooth.
Doug
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comSalute (PLUMBGURU2) wrote in message (Greg) writes in part:

Many thanks. I used a lubricant called Tri Flow. I just looked up details and discovered that it's petroleum based. I'll pick up some paste lubricant and roll up my sleeves.