joining 1 1/2 inch pvc and 1 1/2 inch copper

To make a long story short, my metal drain tailpiece that I connect my trap to for my laundry sink has corroded in spots (probably 40 years old) and has developed a leak. Instead of sweating off the old tail piece to where it goes into the 1 1/2 inch copper drain pipe, can I hacksaw it off, back far enough on the drain pipe to make sure I get all the tail piece, and join a 1 1/2 inch pvc tail piece to the 1 1/2 copper using a fernco adapter? Since it is not pressurized, I figured it would work as long as I tighten the clamps enough.
Eric and Megan Swope wrote:

Jim

Maybe - but there's a pretty significant difference in outside diameter. Threaded adapters might work better.
Thanks for your advice guys. Doug, for the threaded adapter, would any sweating be required? Couldn't I take a 1 1/2 inch piece of pvc, and join that to the 1 1/2 inch copper with the fernco, then pvc cement the pvc tailpiece in the 1 1/2 inch pvc? I think this would resolve the issue with the difference in O.D.between the copper and the pvc tailpiece. Thanks again.

Yes - sweat a threaded fitting onto the copper, thread an opposite-sex PVC threaded coupling onto that, and solvent-weld the PVC pipe into it.

Yes, *if* the fernco fitting will handle the two different sizes. I *think* I've seen fittings like that, but don't remember for sure. If the fernco fitting works, then you don't need the threaded adapters.
Those guys are don't sound very experienced.
Your description is not very clear but I think I understand what you are trying to do. There is a tailpiece that comes out of the bottom of the sink strainer. This is the only tailpiece you should have when you are done. That tailpiece will connect to the PVC trap etc.. with a desanco. If after the trap you then have to convert to copper at what sounds like a copper desanco then do as Doug said and use a threaded adapter. There is in fact a fernco that goes from cu to pvc,I think they are not to code, but will work.

Some thread goop (Rectorseal 5?) on the threads when assembling. Helps prevent leaks.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

They do make an epoxy for gluing copper pipe together. I have never used it, and would personally not use it on a supply pipe under pressure, but for your drain pipe, I'd go for it. Just clean the copper and glue the proper threaded fitting on, leave it dry, and attach your pvc trap pieces as normal. I have seen that epoxy in the plumbing dept. at Ace hardware and other places. (you might have to let it dry overnight, so prepare to be without the sink for a day or so, read the directions).
Mark