I dang near died today!


Guys,
I was working on a clogged bathtub. First of all, some moron put in a tubular chrome trap, and my cable broke through it. I had to break into the wall and fix it (it's a slab building). The bathtub's drain ran more about 30" before I could find an additional cleanout in another office room. I then ran my 50' cable, but didn't do any good. Out of desperation, I got some sulfuric acid and poured it in the cleanout. Nothing was vented, so the gasses went back into the bathroom After getting things working, I went back to the tub to clean up a little. I bend over, and suddenly I couldn't catch my breath. I staggered out through the front door, and went down like a wet bag of cement. I was totally unconcious for about 10 seconds, just long enough for the maintenance guy to hang up from 911. I bashed my forehead and cut my eyebrow.
I didn't know what hit me, and I was wondering if it was a heart attack, or the fumes or what. We ran a little water, then the maintenance guy went to clean things up at the bathtub. Next thing I know, he's staggering out, and he fainted, hitting his head on the sidewalk. He woke up before I got through to 911 too.
I can't believe how quickly it hit, and I think it would have killed me, had I not gotten out of the room. I'm still shook up. My wife was worried, but then I think she thought of the life insurance. She looked a little disappointed.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
That's quite an ordeal! Did ya at least succeed in clearing the stoppage I hope?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Dang it Mike. You know better than to sniff that shit.:>) Anyhow, I'm glad you're okay even though I don't think you shoulda' used the acid in the first place.
Bob Wheatley
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"Bob Wheatley"
I never use acid, except in desperation (actually, I've had good luck with troublesome drains). Not to make excuses, this was a slab building, so you already know the complications. I've never had something like this happen before. The way it happened, and this is the instructive part, is that the bathtub wasn't vented, so when the water would slowly drain, the trap siphoned itself dry. The point where the acid was poured was at least 40' away, but the fumes came through the empty trap.
The amazing thing was how quickly I was affected, and how little odor there was to tip me off. I really thought I was having a stroke or heart attack until it happened to the other guy.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
We can't lose you Mike. I need some one to fight with.

the
about
went
went
out,
worried,
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
bogous.. what brand was it?? not that i want to put some in a bag and try to duplicate it and sell it or anything. we used to get high on white-out....heyyy maybe that explains some stuff. Last time I used acid was to free up a frozen (from cold) trap.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.