How to release water hammer?

Hi,
I shut off the water supply valve to my toilet to replace the flush tank valve. On reopening the water supply valve I hear a loud hammering noise. Can someone please provide me with information on how to fix it?
Thanks,
Ash
"ATN"
You can either ignore it (I'm good at that) or change the ballcock.

more like the washer on the supply valve
"HotH2O4U2"

Dang it, Who was it that used this ballcock change as the cure for everything???
i think that would have been our lord and savior...pmartin.
Who cares?
How often do you have to use the water supply valve on a toilet?