Hot Water Heater Question

My home hot water heater appears to be releaing water via the presure release value. Its a Gas 40 gallon heater that is 3 years old. I keep the water temp on the tank at its highest setting. Should flush the tank and turn down the temp or do I have a much bigger problem.
Thanks in Advance.
Wil

The temperature and pressure relief (T&P) valve is your water heater's last ditch defense against a dangerous event. The time is past for do-it-yourself repairs once your T&P valve is opening. The huge catastrophic potential within a 40 gal water heater is not something to mess around with. Call a plumber and be safe.
MM
"WILBERT AMP C GILLIARD"
It might be as simple as the expansion tank being waterlogged, or maybe the relief valve itself is defective. The dangerous possibility is that the gas valve isn't shutting off properly, causing the water to heat way past its norm. Does the water seem super-super hot (like scalding)?
If the water seems normal in its heat, then have someone check the expansion tank and change the relief valve. Remember, if the tank itself isn't leaking, then there's no need to change the whole water heater (unless it's cheaper than messing with the gas controls.
Thank You

maybe
the
(unless