Hot Water Heater automatic-shutoff valve and pan?

I saw this on an episode of This Old House. Looked like a simple thing...a pan for underneath the HWH. Then, a small float connected via a chain to a value that was incorporated into the fill-pipe for the water heater.

If the tank sprung a leak, the water would fill up in the pan, the 'float' would rise up, and the valve above the water line would trip, shutting off the flow of water to the heater.

I'll be damned if I can find this item anywhere online....anyone know? I'm having my 30 gallon tank replaced with a 50 gallon soon and was wondering if something like this was worthwhile, or not.

I guess if it shuts off the water it doesn't prevent the entire waterheater from draining, but it keeps the drain from going on I'd guess. Also...since my unit is gas-fired, I imagine at some point it would snuff out the flame for the burner........in which case it would be better to have a soaked basement than a free-flowing gas supply..eh?

Reply to
HeadRusch

Blackbeard

I'll ignore it then, thanks for the info.....i wondered what the point of it would be if it shut off the incoming water, but didn't adress the gas feed or current going into the heater....

Also...since

Reply to
HeadRusch

Just get a 'smitty pan' and pipe it outside. A water heater 'never' blows out and this will kepp the leak, when it does and will, from ruining anything below the water heater.

Reply to
llump41

never say never

Reply to