Hot Water Heater automatic-shutoff valve and pan?

I saw this on an episode of This Old House. Looked like a simple thing...a pan for underneath the HWH. Then, a small float connected via a chain to a value that was incorporated into the fill-pipe for the water heater.
If the tank sprung a leak, the water would fill up in the pan, the 'float' would rise up, and the valve above the water line would trip, shutting off the flow of water to the heater.
I'll be damned if I can find this item anywhere online....anyone know? I'm having my 30 gallon tank replaced with a 50 gallon soon and was wondering if something like this was worthwhile, or not.
I guess if it shuts off the water it doesn't prevent the entire waterheater from draining, but it keeps the drain from going on I'd guess. Also...since my unit is gas-fired, I imagine at some point it would snuff out the flame for the burner........in which case it would be better to have a soaked basement than a free-flowing gas supply..eh?
TACO makes the item you are asking about. It's called WAGS. The problem with WAGS is that the mechanism is only designed to turn off the water supply coming in. The mechanism does nothing to address the fact that you still have a flame or current to the burners. The WAGS system costs about $250. The mechanism is a one-time-use mechanism that is triggered by a glue fitting (the glue gets soft when wet and a spring mechanism kills the water). So if you spring a leak ONE TIME, you just pissed away $250. I like the concept. But the concept falls short. The concept would be very popular if it included an automatic shutoff for the power or flame. And the concept would be perfect if it offered a reset switch or button.

I'll ignore it then, thanks for the info.....i wondered what the point of it would be if it shut off the incoming water, but didn't adress the gas feed or current going into the heater....

thing...a
'float'
off
I'm
if
waterheater
Also...since
flame

if
Just get a 'smitty pan' and pipe it outside. A water heater 'never' blows out and this will kepp the leak, when it does and will, from ruining anything below the water heater.
never say never