Help Required: Plumbing in a toilet to a cast iron soil pipe

Hi,

I would like to put in a new toilet in the upstairs bathroom, however the (cast iron?) soil pipe protrudes too far into the room.

I thought about cutting it back using an angle grinder, but there looks to be a joint on the pipe (a big knuckle). If I poke a screwdriver into the seal it feels/looks like lead. Searching the internet revealed some information on the lead and oakum joint, which this must be.

Can anyone tell me if this joint can be split, if so how is the best way to do it?

Many thanks Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Sims

What is the distance from surface of the back wall to the center of the flange?

MM

Reply to
Mark Monson

"Adrian Sims"

Something tells me you're in over your head, but if you're stubborn enough to try, what must happen is a section of the cast iron must be removed so that a tee can be put in. You'll need a sawsall or snappers, and you'll have to cut it above and below the floor level. Then put in a PVC tee with ferncos (or no-hub clamps).

Reply to
Mike Grooms

You CAN melt the lead out with your torch then dig out the oakum. There is a pvc fitting call;ed a manoff. this goes back into the hub with oakum and lead hair that you pound into place (not melt). This gives you PVC to work from. or you can cut it and no-hub it. the situation will determine which is easier/best.

Reply to
Ned Flanders

"Ned Flanders"

Hey, I'm still trying to figure out if it's a vertical or horizontal soil pipe!

Reply to
Mike Grooms

Grabbing a stack for a new second floor bathroom is not the way to go. You may negate the venting of first floor fixtures. You should drop a second stack and tie into the existing stack under the first floor fixtures. The venting may be tied into the existing vent stack.

kenny b

Reply to
kennybs

Sorry, I now see where it's an existing bath.

kenny b

snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote:

Reply to
kennybs

I wonder if he means that physically the new toilet won't fit against the wall because of an exposed stack? I'm confused.

Reply to
Mike Grooms

Take a picture of the piping and we'll take a look. That's going to give us the best information as to how to best advise you. It would be helpful if you held a tape measure up so we know the distance of the toilet to the stack.

snap several pics (mostly of what you have to work with and what you are trying to accomplish)

Reply to
Blackbeard

I asked the guy for the rough in measurement off the back wall but he never responded. He can probably order a WC that will fit and forget about the repipe.

MM

Reply to
Mark Monson