Gas Water Heater Problem

Hi Folks:
I have a BW Gas Water Heater (7 hears old) the blower doesn't stop even after the Furnace had stopped. The blower would go on a "stop and start" cycle for a very long time. I have had days when it had gone like that for hours and all this while the furnace is not on.
I would appreciate any help.
thanks
anand
Do you have a hot water tank or furnace? You have to decide.

I have a hot water tank with a gas burner. It has an exhaust fan that comes on when the gas burner lights up to heat the water and tries to shut off when the gas burners goes off.
D McCallum wrote:

ok that's much clearer....clean the flame rod.