GARBAGE DISPOSAL QUESTION

Would appreciate a plumber's answer to my question. My sink is divided in two with the "regular" sink basin on the right and a garbage disposal on the left. Although we never put anything in the disposal, I noticed the water was draining very, very slowly. I read on the internet that loosening the bottom center nut with a garbage disposal hexagon wrench might help. I bought the required wrench did exactly that -- and it worked, I'm happy to say. But here's the question: should the nut remain loose now? It was tight and after I loosened it, the water drained, presumably after I dislodged something. But when I tried to re-tighten that nut with the wrench (which I thought I had to do) it just loosely turns. Should it re-tighten??? Sorry if it's a silly question but plumbing is not my thing. Thanks.
BrianInNY wrote:

The socket on the bottom of the disposal is there so you can free the motor when it gets food stuck in it. When you turned the wrench you were simply rotating the motor, which should normally spin freely.
Mark