Garbage disposal leak ?

Hi newsgroup. I have a garbage disposal that leaks at the mounting gasket when operated with water filled to a level a few inches or more above the bottom of the sink. I just reinstalled the disposer with fresh plumber's putty, and felt washer only to discover the exact location of this leak. Should garbage disposal not leak when asked to work with water filled above the sink drain ?
Sven
it shouldn't leak. Felt washer???

Try using "thumb gum" instead of putty & make sure the rim of the strainer where it meets the sink is not cocked.

Steve Miller wrote:

Thanks for the replies PipeDown and TJE. In the end it was the mounting gasket which, after many years, doesn't make a good seal around the strainer flange. I've ordered a replacement gasket.
Steve