Garbage disposal ?

I've heard pros and cons on whether to use hot or cold water when disposing food particles. Would it make any difference? I'm on a septic tank system. Thanks

Reply to
Herb

grease breaks up better with hot water?

Reply to
Ned Flanders

Agreed, Hot and also run the water for a bit after grinding so the solids don't settle in the pipe.

Reply to
PipeDown

Code does not allow the use of a garbage disposal on a septic installation. The food particles can clog up your leech field. Get rid of the garbage disposal and install the type of food grinder that is designed for use with a septic system. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than paying a plumber to install a new leech field.

As for the grease, hot water will help grease flow through your pipes. However, inevitably that grease gets into your septic tank. The grease in your septic tank will impede the ability of the bacteria in your tank to continue with the aerobic digestion of the particulate. Grease in your septic tank is a bad idea. Don't run hot water to flush the grease through your drains. Instead, dump your grease into an old soup can and toss it in the garbage can.

Sounds like you don't know how your septic tank works. Those septic systems are very pricey to repair or replace. Maybe you should nose around the internet and learn a little more about how your septic tank works before you f*ck it up by continuing your poor practice of dumping crap like food particles, grease and nitrates into your system.

It might be cheaper to modify how you treat that septic system before it costs you more than a new car to fix.

Reply to
Blackbeard

I saw a pig for septic systems, it had some piss it would squirt in there when you ran it to help make the stuff break down.

Reply to
Ned Flanders