galvanized feed

Has anyone seen this before? the water service from the basement floor a galvanized pipe nipple? I didn't break up the floor to see what was under it but I thought it might be off a lead service. The three houses I've seen this in were in the Detroit area and ranged in age from the 1920's to the 50's I didn't think they would've ran galvanized from the stop box but you never know. thanks to anyone who has seen this before and can shed some light.
Kevin

the age your stating would most commonly be a galvanized service, lead would be earlier and usually would enter the structure if a basement was available before the transition to brass.(but not always) Older cities like detroit may keep amazing records dating well into the 1800's, The buffalo area for example will list material, tap size, location, box location etc. with just a quick phone call to the water dept.
kenny b