foul smell in bathroom

Hi everyone Im new here but need help The past few weeks I've noticed a foul smell eminating from the bathroom around the toilet. I turn on the vent fan but the smell seems to get worse instead of better? The smell has nothing to do with me or my family if you get my drift...
Could sewer gases be leaking into the bathroom?? Is this dangerous? It stinks to holy hell in there. Help me out.
"John"
If you're certain it's from the toilet, then the wax seal might be bad. If the venting isn't doing it's job, you might be smelling an updraft of sewer gas from the wax seal. You could throw a quick bead of chaulk around the base of the toilet. If the smell stops, then change the wax ring.
These can fool you though. You might want to plug off the sink (and it's overflow) and the tub (and the overflow) to make sure it's the toilet.
I think Mike's first guess is correct. I think I'd skip straight to changing the wax seal. You can tell when you pull the toilet if it's been leaking.
Dean

thanks for the help guys

the plumber replaced the two wax rings and tighten the toilet down a bit more. He also said the t-seat we have,(has a cushon) has a tendensy to absorb bad odors and collects bacteria. He said get rid of that right away, and also get rid of the t-seat rug...