Flushing urine to the sewer in other ways besides the toilet

I'm an old male geezer living alone and as a way to conserve water, I've been wondering if it would be harmful to the pipes it I collected urine in a bottle and poured it down a sink with running water? Using a large toilet bowl to flush urine to the sewer seems so extravagant in water-hungry Southern Calif, yet letting urine stand in the toilet bowl for any period of time will stain the bowl. I realize that I'm using water if I used the sink, but the amount would be much smaller than using the toilet bowl. I feel that with a 'straight' pipe going to the sewer it should be no problem, but I notice that all drain pipes from a sink have that "crook" in them for some reason and am wondering if the urine would 'settle' there in spite of the running water and mess up the pipes.

Reply to
nowg

Notice how nobody's answered? It won't hurt anything, but it's just too icky to write about.

Reply to
Mike Grooms

Well...er...

yes, you can save urine in jars and dump it into your sink. However, the urine will stand in that crook part and as it sours will release foul smelling gases into your house. That crook is called a trap. It stays filled with water to prevent sewer gases from coming back into your house. But dumping urine directly into the trap, you're creating problems for yourself.

I don't know how you're strapped for cash. But you may want to consider using a grey-water system that will allow you to flush your toilet with rainwater instead of city water. That would be a lot more sanitary. It would cost a little more up front, but you would see significant savings on your water bill.

Reply to
Blackbeard

"Blackbeard"

Are you going to tell us you don't pee in the kitchen sink to save a trip upstairs??? We know better.

Reply to
Mike Grooms

I think that most would consider a yellow ring around the toilet less offensive that a smell pee pipe. And that ring could probably be managed with a dash of bleach after each flush.

Reply to
Bill C

I'll also mention that as long as you run water for five seconds after using your new found urinal, all the urine will flush out of the trap, and there won't be an odor problem. Just rinse the sink real good, OK?

Reply to
Mike Grooms

Thanks for the replies inspite of the "ickiness" of the subject. Now relative to the release of foul odors in the house, I forgot to mention that along with being an old geezer, I have lost ALL my sense of smell, but it's obvious that when my daughters and grandkids come for a visit they would sense something. So....OK, folks.....to relieve all anxiety among the readers, I'll continue to use the stool!!!

Thanks again...

Reply to
nowg

Get your kids to chip in and buy you a waterless urinal and pay for its installation:

I've been encountering them at hotels and such in my travels.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I have been wondering if you could dump the waterless urnial liquid in a regular toilet. Or for that matter a jug of scented oil. That becomes your piss toilet. I love to piss outside myself, just relax..no aiming or nuthin.

Reply to
Ned Flanders

I hope you don't plan on having Thanksgiving at your house. If you do, I'm sure everyone will bring something.

Reply to
tja

Having been in my share of hospitals, I seen plenty of RNs do it with mine ! Some dump it in the showers.

Reply to
Red Jacket

The 'U' bend is there to prevent sewage odours and also prevent vermin and cockroaches from climbing up into your house! it needs to be full of fluid to work. If it is not used for a long time and is allowed to dry out, you will soon know about!

Reply to
Martkimwat