fixing a leak in a copper pipe

Hi. Random plumbing question. If there is a leak in a copper pipe, can you use solder, by process of sweating, and fill in the leak, or would it be best to cut out the leak and sweat in a coupler (union)?

Reply to
shag dawg

Solder may fill the leak, but what caused it? I'd rather cut the bad section out and put a coupling in place. If corroded, replace the line.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

They do sell "pipe patches" which are rubber lined metal clamps with tightening screws which can be snugged down over a small leak in a pipe

- if there's room, like it's not right next to a fitting.

But, like another poster has already told you, if the pipe corroded through from the inside, chances are any "patch" you use will at best be a temporary fix, corrosion rarely attacks at just one place.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I once improvised a patch for a pinhole leak in hard drawn copper tubing by using a hose clamp and a tire patch. It held for several years until I had enough other jobs lined up to get a plumber in to replace the damaged piece of tubing.

Reply to
John_B