fixing a leak in a copper pipe

Hi. Random plumbing question. If there is a leak in a copper pipe, can you use solder, by process of sweating, and fill in the leak, or would it be best to cut out the leak and sweat in a coupler (union)?

Solder may fill the leak, but what caused it? I'd rather cut the bad section out and put a coupling in place. If corroded, replace the line.
shag dawg wrote:

They do sell "pipe patches" which are rubber lined metal clamps with tightening screws which can be snugged down over a small leak in a pipe - if there's room, like it's not right next to a fitting.
But, like another poster has already told you, if the pipe corroded through from the inside, chances are any "patch" you use will at best be a temporary fix, corrosion rarely attacks at just one place.
HTH,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

I once improvised a patch for a pinhole leak in hard drawn copper tubing by using a hose clamp and a tire patch. It held for several years until I had enough other jobs lined up to get a plumber in to replace the damaged piece of tubing.