Extending galvanized steel water lines

My house is plumbed with galvanized steel pipes for the hot and cold water lines. I want to build a new bathroom which requires extending these lines to the new sink, toilet, tub etc.
What kind of pipe will I have to use for the extensions. Do I use more Galv. steel or can I change over to PVC using a threaded fitting. (assuming it is to code in CA). What about copper? would this be better? how is the interface made?
"AutoTracer"
You can do steel, copper, or CPVC. Being an old fart, I put in copper, but I'm not opposed to CPVC. The galvanized is too difficult and not as long lasting as the other materials.
yeah put in copper. You can cut the pipe near a fitting and that is your starting point. There is a copper threaded adapter. (male/female all sizes) I'd replace as much as the galv as I easily could, unless it was in great shape.

Noooo! Don't use PVC or CPVC. That stuff is junk. For those of you out there still using it, watch your codebooks...it won't be in there as an approved material for much longer.
Go with Copper. Except, make sure you use a dielectric union at the connection. A plain threaded fitting will work. But you really should use a dielectric union to make a connection between dissimilar metals. Frankly, if it was my house, I'd rip out as much of the galvanized as possible and re-plumb the whole house using pex. You can rent crimpers at Home Depot for $8.00/day if you don't already have a pair.
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:59:26 GMT, "AutoTracer"