electrolysis

Page 2 of 2

That changes things.... I would go ahead and use the stainless outside but I would ensure that both ends are connected to brass nipples and no copper male adapters. (good luck with your tankless experience btw)
Bob Wheatley
Thanks for the input. We did go without the nipples. We'll add them.
So I take it you not a fan of Tankless, or outdoor tankless or?
Thanks again. Scott<-

So far...in 30 years of plumbing...I've never seen one perform (even the so called 'state of the art' models) anywhere near the standards of a typical tank type system with a pumped return. Note: I am talking here specifically about 'performance'. Performance in this case = all the hot water a typical home needs. When one starts introducing other factors such as 'efficiency's or 'operating costs' or 'purchase costs' or 'whatever' then you start down a path where you begin a series of trade offs until you arrive to your conclusion. Depending on the individual making the trade offs the conclusions will vary. But my statement about sheer performance for a typical home is not arguable. That said, there are certain situations where when all things are considered the best choice could be a tankless. I am also amused that 20 years ago the industry liked referring to itself as 'instantaneous' - in recent years when that was proved to be a lie they have shown a preference for the new name. In any event, I meant what I wrote - I wish you the best in your tankless experience.
Bob Wheatley
Being a former boat owner (and someone who wishes he could afford a nice sport fisherman now) this topic interested me and I did some searching.
I came across a few articles that I thought might be of interest to plumbers. http://www.copper.org/applications/plumbing/techcorner/corrosion_mixed_metal_fire_sprinkler_systems.html
http://www.copper.org/applications/plumbing/techcorner/electrolysis_cause_copper_tube_fail.html
http://www.yandina.com/electrolysis.htm
I'm not a plumber or trying to give plumbing advice; just someone who has benefited from the advice of this group in the past, enjoys reading the posts and hoped to have come across something you guys may find of interest.
Chris