Earthquake Valve Installation Help Needed

Two questions ...
1) Do I have to use Black Iron when doing exterior gas work or can I use Galvanized?
2) The EV I am planning on using is only going to be mounted about 4" from the house and it is too tight to turn the meter to tighten it. Can I use a union fitting on either side of the the feed. Can I use union fittings on either side of it?

can I use

about 4" from

a union

Ask your inspector. He's the one who will have to approve everything.
Bob