"drop-in" gas range sought

Page 1 of 3
Can anyone advise me where, in the USA, I might buy a new "drop-in" 30-inch-wide gas range? I can't find one. It would be used as a replacement for an apartment kitchen. I have found a drop-in electric range, but building owners don't want to upgrade the electrical resouce at the kitchen. Gas is already there.
Sears, Lowes, Home Cheapo

Not that simple if you check. Electric, yes, but gas, no. The OP may have to change cabinets and go to a slide in or free standing.
Edwin's intuition, as is the case so often, is right on target. And I am opposed to such modifications.
On 2/15/2005 11:12 AM US(ET), John B took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Do you mean just the range top, or a range/oven combo? I have a Sears Kenmore (made by Roper) gas range/oven combo that is 30" wide. It's about 20 years old.
--
Bill

Range/oven combo.

On 2/15/2005 12:32 PM US(ET), John B took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

OK, that's what mine is. It is a drop-in with a flange on the sides of the top that lays on the countertop and is covered by the lift up range top. I had to build a base for it since it doesn't have a leg to stand on. Try Sears.
--
Bill

On 2/15/2005 4:18 PM US(ET), willshak took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Here are 30" drop-ins at Sears http://tinyurl.com/5fhox
--
Bill

He needs gas, no hookup for electric.
On 2/15/2005 4:29 PM US(ET), Edwin Pawlowski took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

--
Bill

Every one of those drop in ranges is electric. I looked at all three pages, carefully. I need a gas range. Thanks.

I think you want to look for a "slide in" range. Most everyone makes one. I have a dual fuel Jenn Air, but I know it comes in all gas. Here are some examples: http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=slide+in+gas+range
No. I know what a "slide-in" range is, and that is not what I am asking for. Thank you for your reply, however.
John B wrote:

Edwin Pawlowski got it right. A "slide in" sits on the ground, and as such, has a vertical height of perhaps 36" without respect to any backsplash that might be included in the model. As "drop in" has a vertical dimension of about 30", yet when it is installed, its top is at counter height...about 36". How is this accomplished? The drop-in rests on the counter, and perhaps on blocks down near the floor. A "drop in" oven specifies a shorter horizontal distance between surrounding cabinet and countertop; i.e., closer gap. The kitchen has beautiful tile work, cabinetry, and coved floor. This would have to be massacred to fit a slide-in range. All existing dimensions are suited for drop-in, not slide-in or free-standing range. I have recommended a drop-in electric replacement range, but family members who control the situation are opposed to that. They would rather hack the kitchen and save money. I am thus trying to find a gas range that will dispell this threat.

Have you looked into having the existing range refurbished?
Good point. That was my first position. However, I am relying on others who claim that the repair parts are unavailable. But thank you for reminding me of this concept. The thermostat is shot. I put a thermometer in the oven and watched it go well beyond the temperature prescribed at the user interface. The oven burner doesn't always light promptly, giving fear of explosion. The top needs a paint job.

Check out this place. http://www.antiquegasstoves.com/pages/rebuild.html I have no idea of price, but if anyone can, these guys teem to be able to do it.
Thanks. I'll keep it in mind.

John B wrote:

In a different thread there's a company called Bluestar, which calls its products "cooktops." Check out their website--several sizes and options. Our ideal kitchen would have a big gas stove and a separate electric oven set in the wall at about waist level.
-aem