Diverter Shower/Spout

Issue: Replaced diverter stem valve with new one ...turn diverter to shower mode and spout doesnt stop gushing.
Solution: Diverter was missing 1 out of the 3 o-rings it was supposed to have. no one I asked seemed to noticed it...except for the old plumber at my local hardware store... (thanks Bill !!)