Depth for pipe from well to house around Lille, Maine

Dear Readers:

I have a vacation house in Lille, Maine, and it has a well.

When it comes to the pipe that runs from the well to the house, I was wondering if anyone knows how deep that would have to be for that part of the country? Four feet? Deeper?

I guess -20 weather is normal for northern Maine, but I live in Connecticut full-time, so I worry about these things.

Joe

Reply to
JNG

"JNG"

48" is deep enough, unless it goes under a driveway.
Reply to
Mike Grooms

It depends on the material you backfilled with. I saw some lines at 5 to 6 feet freeze last year. For the most part though 4' is ok. Any less and you need to cover it with foam.

BTW make sure you spend as much money in Maine as you can, because people like you are ruining this state by driving up property values. Jobs don't pay like they do in your area thats why our real estate used to be cheap. you people who have so much money you can buy

2 friggen homes are making it impossible for our familys to afford a first home up here.

Reply to
Ned Flanders

I live in the Southeast. We only bury our water pipes 12" deep. Just call your local code enforcement office and ask them what they want. it gets much colder in Maine than is does here (or pretty much anywhere else). As a homeowner, you have the right to pull your own permits. You shoudl go ahead and pull a homeowner permit and do the work legal. If you have asshole inspectors and they find out, they can make you dig it up so they can inspect the work.

You can also ask your inspections office specifics about what they want to see when they come to inspect that job.

Also, don't forget to call a utility locating company (inspections office can give you the number) and have your undergroudn utilities located. It's pretty expensive to pay the electric company or your gas company to come fix pipes that you accidentally damage

Reply to
Blackbeard