Coming to America...... maybe

Hi I'm a Plumbing apprentice in Ireland and was just wondering what would i have to do to work at plumbing in the U.S.A, I know a qualifies plumber here in Ireland couldnt just jump of the boat/plane and start working but is there any courses or is it possible to work with a qualified guy over there kind of an extended apprentiship? any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks guys Wee Irish Lad

Reply to
Apprentice

It depends on where you plan to live in the United States. If you live in my state, you would be able to work for another plumber and be out in the field in your own truck. If you have documentation of your work experience, our state requires 2000 hours in order to sit for the state exam.

Other states have unions and unions have their own set of rules. I'm not a union man so i can't advise you regarding unions. I do know that unions have great training and that their plumbers are very knowledgeable. I personally like the concept of unions because they do have higher standards than you see in non-union areas.

First you need to figure out where you plan to live. Then you can get more specific information on requirements.

Reply to
Blackbeard

Thanks for the feed back Blackbeard With regards to Location i suppose as my sister has moved to San Fran. i guess i would probably be located there for a few months and take it from there. Well the way training works over here is that i sevre 4year apprenticeship under a qualified craftsmen (in my case a Plumber) and then get a national craftsman cert.thats proves full qualifcations, about the 2000hrs is that include my time training over here i.e the four years of training ?or does that just start when/if i start work over in the states? iIs it possible to get information from or about the the unionised states maybe be online some where or a mail address may be? much appreiciated Blackbeard

Wee Irish Lad

Reply to
Apprentice

My state does not have a union. I do know that in my state that your hours will qualify you for a license as long as the hours can be verified. I think I would start first with calling the licensing board in the state you plan to reside and inquire with them what type of proof they will require in order for you to sit for their state test. Basically, get your paperwork in order before you come to the states. That way if the licensing board needs more information from you, it will be easy to provide what they might need. I know that in North Carolina you could sit for the state test right now, providing you had proof of your 2000-hours.

Reply to
Blackbeard