Combination Boiler Problem

Hi guys,

I have a problem with an Italian Combi-boiler which is costing me a fortune in call-out fees.

The problem is that it will run for three or four months okay then it will shut off and refuse to restart.

The engineer gets it going in less than 30 minutes and without replacing a part and I assume most of that 30 mins is faffing about to justify the call-out charge.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Steve Wade

AHA ! He pushes some unknown to you button ! Push many buttons and see what happens !

I'd push the Italian looking button. I bet one Lire that's the one. Or, push the Sophia looking button.... Or,

Try the relay switch. That's a problem with my American boiler. It kicks in then all is well, if not then I replace it. Why it acts up I dunno.

Hey, the guy if he like us will look over the system when he down there. He may of saved your life and you think he's ripping you off you ungrateful son a flea bitten mangy dog.

Reply to
Red Jacket

I am not above suspicion in that department but:

Here's the serial tale.

Gas fitter A arrived and said it was safe but didn't know how to fix it.

Gas fitter B arrived and fixed it in a few minutes and didn't replace parts - removed cob webs.

Boiler functioned okay for six months but then turned itself off.

Gas fitter C arrived and spent ages, spent money but could not fix it.

Gas fitter B returned and fixed it in a few minutes, leading me to think that he knew something about the boiler the others didn't.

Please don't ask why we didn't stick to fitter B in the first place, its too complicated.

I wondered if the boiler cut out because of a drop in water pressure perhaps and has a hidden reset button?

Is there a low-tech type of boiler which might have a life-span measured in decades rather than years?

Reply to
Steve Wade

I can't say, we have other type boilers here in the US. Lets see if any UK people come up.

Reply to
Red Jacket

I am a plumber and get called out to peoples boilers / plumbing problems They usualy expect service NOW when i go fix the problem and present my bill (usualy under £100 ) You would be suprised at the number of people that think they have been ripped off. The point is We plumbers have spent a lot of time and money finding out why boilers break ........ You want it fixed ? You pay the man that Knows what button to push. Or you could mess about your self then pay even more when you break it..

People in the UK do not realise (Or Care ) that to become Corgi regesterd ( to enable you to work on gas) Costs Aprox £2000 every 5 years for 'Training' then £180 per year to join then I day a year to show a man (usualy just out of short trousers) 3 jobs you have done so that he can confirm you are good enough. There is now Part 'P' we have to comply with Cost £1000 for the course £500 for the equipment (every 5 years) and another £200 per year subscription to the governing bodys . Over the next few years there are many more couses we will have to do Total cost in training Mebership of corgi Insurance backed garentees etc. is in my going to cost opinion aprox £200 PER WEEK I currently charge £200 per day this will rise soon.

Reply to
Neil Montague