clogged dielectric

got another low pressure today...
jammed a screwdriver down the dielectric, jiggled it around to clean it out. Both hot and cold. I put the water heater in Dec. 1996. Considerable amout of loss in pressure in hot.
Unless its commercial, or on demand, i no longer use em for this reason. Am i the only one who feels this way
scott
I don't use dielectric unions anymore. The galvanized nipples fill up with rust and get pin holes.
Copper male adapters right to the water heater.
MM

This question comes up all to often and the answer is always use copper adapter. I use nothing but.

"NedFlanders"
I know that all three of you guys know what your talking about, but like the first thing I learned in school was that dissimilar metal thingy. I've also witnessed the dielectric union problem, but won't the "copper directly to steel" cause problems too? I think those insulating nipples work just fine (though they add about $6.00!).
When I can get away with it, I'll use copper adapters. They seem to pose less of a problem. However, if the job is being inspected, the inspector usually will want to see dielectric unions. If I have to use them, lately I've been experimenting with brass nipples to see if this condition is better or worse. I guess I'll know in a few years.

I have seen 3 electric water tanks go bad in 1 house in 5 yrs because of brass nipples and the plumbing not being bonded.

Huh ?

Thanks for the info, Ned. I haven't done many with brass nipples. I guess I won't in the future. Lately I've been using dielectric nipples that are coated on the inside...when I can find them. They don't seem too plentiful here at the Jersey shore.

"Ned Flanders"
What does "plumbing bonded" mean? How can brass nipples make a heater go bad?
you don't ground your electric to the plumbing. you bond the plumbing with that piece of copper. ask an electrician you know who really knows his stuff. brass verry dissimilar metal and will produce greater electrolysis.

"Ned Flanders"
Brass is not dissimilar enough with brass to cause electrolysis.
true.

"Ned Flanders"
I'm stupid...what I meant to say is that brass isn't dissimilar enough to steel to cause electrolysis.
yes it is. I was told that brass had zinc in it. That bronze is basicly brass without the zinc. I have noticed that old brass fittings/ pipe if very weak sometimes. I could squish it with channel locks. I think there might be a connection.
we have a lot of iron in our water, it is quite dissimilar from copper. We go through a lot of hot water tanks.
i have NEVER pulled an anode rod that was not seriously peppered with holes.

electrochemical corrosion. Corrosion that is accompanied by a flow of electrons between cathodic and anodic areas on metallic surfaces.

"Ned Flanders"
Yes, that's electrolysis. I used to think the same as you, that brass would cause a problem. I found out, and was humbled in the process, that it ain't true. In a situation with electrolysis, it wouldn't be the brass that'd rust; it'd be the steel tank.
mike thank you for just making my point agian. Go back and read what i said. Ask yourself why tanks come with anode rods in them. Brass is close to copper but the zinc in the brass is not good. Bronze would be better. Why does TACO make a bronze circultor?? hmmmm??