clay seperator

i am a novice potter, and would like to know if someone can help me design a clay seperator for my wash up sink? there must be a way without spending too much. thank for your help.
My grandfather was a potter and he used to wash up in a pair of buckets then let the clay sedament settle. Pour off the water later. Can't get cheaper than that! Eric.