Can't adjust the Pilot light in my Gas Stove (flame too big)? adj screw. Options

My pilot light flame has gotten too big recently, it goes past the two sensors. I found the adjustment screw on the honeywell valve, but the flame does not respond to the adjustment. I tried unscrewing it all the way (using a very small flat screw driver) to see if the spring is stuck, but there is no spring. My stove is a Vermont casting stove about 10 years old. Any ideas? Also, curious what made the pilot light get bigger to begin with? thanks
here is a picture of the gas valve. pilot adjustment above the two wire leads.
valve model VS8420E
stove model: rdv40