British Gas Salesperson calling

I've arranged for a salesperson to call from BG to quote me for a new boiler. My current one has been in the house since 1993 when I moved in and it looked a good few years old then (Thorn Apollo wall mounted). The current one is located in a 'cupboard' in the main bedroom behind a door (air vents top and bottom). Will British Gas allow a replacement boiler to be fitted in the same location or will they insist it cannot be in a bedroom behind a door? I am concerned that the salesperson will get an engineer out to have a look at it and condemn it leaving me with no heating or hot water.

I am trying to get quotes from local Corgi registered plumbers, but the fact that my upstairs floor in a two up two down terrace is concrete could be putting them off. Four have called and so far I have only received one verbal quote (see below).

I did get a friend of a friend to call today and he offered to fit a Ferroli for 1800 quid, although he was a little vague on the exact model. I did get the Ferroli boilers up on the internet and showed them to him. He thought it was the Ferroli Domi Compact 24 HE, but could not be sure as he did not have his glasses on and could not read the small print I was showing him on the net. Are these boilers any good? I noticed it was a band B boiler, does this mean it is less efficient? I asked him about warranty and he said that Ferroli would call out if anything went wrong with it in the first two years. Is this correct?

Sorry about all the questions, but I would appreciate any constructive responses.

PS. I live on my own so do not need a large boiler.

Reply to
Pete

Not sure about the UK but in the US even if your equipment is not up to code, if it was when it was installed, it is considered grandfathered and you would not be forced to shut it off unless someone discovered a threat to life (like a gas leak) and you would want it off anyway.

Is BG so hard lined as to have a reputation for leaving customers without service to force a sale? I doubt it.

Reply to
PipeDown

Pete