Ball valve orientation

-------------------------------------

New guy to the board...

I've read the pro's & cons about gate valves. Now tell me about ball valves I want to install a 1/2\" and a 3/4\" valve. These are on water supply lines above my head in my basement. Can I orient them \"stem up\" only or can they be oriented \"stem down\" or \"stem to the side\"? I already have gate valves but I can use stop valves or globe valves or ball valves. I have a stop valved w/waste port on a 3/4\" supply line to my outside hose bibb and I have a 1/2\" stop valve w/waste port for my refrigerator supply line. The outside hose supply line & valve is original to the house(35 yrs). The refrigerator line I installed in the late 80s when I bought a fridge w/water and ice making capability. The only problem I have had to correct is to change the stem packing on the 3/4 line due to leaking. It works fine now, thank you!

What say you all to any kind of valve. I am not \"married\" to any type BUT I want a valve that will shut off when I want it closed and not have to worry about leaking washers or \"O\"rings or other \"offshore\" made materiels that will deteriorate and start leaking a couple of years down the road.

TIA for your help. I have seen that there are some really knowledgeable folks here.

KA

Reply to
greasehead42

I should clarify my posting. I have yet to install any valves. I should have said \"I have purchased gate valves\" v. \"I have gate valves already\".

TIA

KA

Reply to
greasehead42