Backflow Valve install conundrum

Recently had a sewer backup in our basement and wanted to install backflow prevention valve (regular Home Depot special....put it in drain, tighten screws to expand rubber gasket and voila!)
However, my floor drain (4" clay pipe) has another small rubber 'hose' which feeds into it from just below the concrete floor. I am told this hose feeds water into the trap to keep sewer gases from getting into the house.
My problem is that I cannot install the backflow preventer because the little hose prevents a uniform seal between the valve and the edge of the drain. Is there an alternative method, device that I can use on this drain opening (without major cost/tearing up the floor)?
Recently had a sewer backup in our basement and wanted to install backflow prevention valve (regular Home Depot special....put it in drain, tighten screws to expand rubber gasket and voila!)
However, my floor drain (4" clay pipe) has another small rubber 'hose' which feeds into it from just below the concrete floor. I am told this hose feeds water into the trap to keep sewer gases from getting into the house.
My problem is that I cannot install the backflow preventer because the little hose prevents a uniform seal between the valve and the edge of the drain. Is there an alternative method, device that I can use on this drain opening (without major cost/tearing up the floor)?
Interesting dilemma, Bob. If it is simply a floor drain, may I assume that it is only "used" during a standing water situation? And that those situations are somewhat rare? Have you noticed any noticeable odor during long periods of non-use? Wouldn't the trap fill all by itself if the basement took on water? Perhaps you could simply plug up the hose and install the backflow preventer and then run all the tests you would need to verify that the "fix" could be a long-term solution. _____________________________________________________________