Am Stan toilet

Hey Boys,

I'm having trouble with an Am Stan elongated bowl WC. It has one of those new flappers with the styrofoam floaty thingy on the flapper. There are two problems. One is that the flapper prematurely closes, and the other is that it doesn't flush very well.

It does flush with the aid of extra water dumped in. I've also reamed all the holes under the rim, and I've reamed out the siphon jet. I've even dumped hydrochloric acid down the refill tube to clear things out internally.

I didn't get the model number, but it's the one that looks like an old-fashioned style.

Got any ideas?

Mikey

Reply to
Mike Grooms

I'm not up on my A.S. repair details, but assuming that the flapper is a standard flapper with the cork float try lowering the float as low to the flapper as you can get it. This should get you little more water. You can also try raising the water level above normal height. I've even glued a 3/4" PVC coupling and a short piece of pipe to raise the water level on some A.S. and Eljer toilets that just wouldn't flush.

Bob Wheatley

Reply to
Bob Wheatley

Bob,

I've already done both those suggestions. As a matter of fact, they were adjusted that way when I arrived (telling me it's been a continuing problem).

The thing is this, that if I dump in just about half a gallon of water during the flush cycle, it flushes fine. I don't think the problem is the amount of water, but the speed that the water has as it enters the bowl. I've reamed all the holes, and bathed the siphon jet with acid. Is there anything else to try?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Grooms

Assuming that there's no vent or drain stoppage issues and you are giving it all the water you can. Even more than it was designed for. And you've cleared the bowl jets. The only other possibility is some sort of obstruction beyond the flapper, either in the flush valve or the upper portion of the bowl. That said, it only takes a couple of hours extra labor for your customer to just buy a whole new toilet. Another thought....I'd also confirm that the toilet hasn't been repaired by someone else that may have changed out the tank to an incorrect model.

Bob Wheatley

Reply to
Bob Wheatley