zoned hot water system problem

Page 2 of 2

RBM remove this wrote:

Good point!!! LOL, wouldn't that be a kick in the A*S. He should make sure that the arrow on the circ is pointing in the proper direction......Didn't even think of that.
RayV wrote:

RayV, After all of the suggestions made and what you have tried do you have a fix? I'm curious to what fixed this problem and I'm sure the others in the group would like to hear what the solution was.
-paul
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I also posted this in alt.hvac and the predominate (reasonable) opinion there and here is the main circulator pump on the inlet side of the boiler is not needed in conjunction with the zone pumps. I suspect the system would be fine with one pump and zone valves. The top floor might not get as much flow if all 3 zones are calling at the same time but the lower zones would eventually shut off.
This weekend I will go over and disconnect the wires to the 'main' circulator and run each zone and see what happens. Worst that can happen is I have to reconnect it.
If that doesn't work maybe I'll have him call in an HVAC guy for an opinion. I could install zone valves for him and the parts would be less than $400 (plus $30 for a bottle of vodka).
I'll post a followup after I try disconnecting the main pump.
RayV wrote:

Sounds like I misunderstood you. Are you saying that there are circulators for each zone and then another circulator for all zones which you call the main pump? If this is the case, then yes I agree with you. I would disconnect the main circulator and try the heat.
-paul
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Yes, the zoning and and zone pumps appear to be an add-on/upgrade to the original system.
RayV posted for all of us...

Asked and answered MANY times! Sorry, you lose, buh bye, bring in the next player Johnny.