Zeobryte Pool filter media instead of sand?

I am going to replace my aging cartridge filter and pump with a Hi-flo Hayward Sand filter and Pentair pump this week. I am vacillating on which filter media to use. When I was hopping around, I was told by several different individuals about a product called Zeobryte( sp?) as an alternative to silica sand in the filter. supposedly, this new media filters down to a much smaller micron size particle than regular sand, and also reduces the amount of media that needs to be installed in the filter by 1/2 The filter I have purchased is the 310T by Hayward which holds 500lbs. I am wondering if someone here can elaborate on the benefits( if any ) of this "new" filter media from an objective perspective or from personal experience.
I know there is about a 4 times cost difference for the Zeobryte, but that would be offset by the reduction of weight needed( if the claims are true). I believe there are several of these "zeo-xxxx" products available, I wonder as well if there is a difference between them or are they all the same generally.
Thanks Brandon
Hi,
90 grade sand filters to 15 microns. Zeobryte does 5 microns. The downfall is backwashing. You can have presure problems and get cavatation from Zeobryte. I would stay with sand myself. If your flow rate isn't doing at least four turns a day though you might go with the Zeobryte.
candice
Brandon writes:

Spelled "Zeobrite". It is a silicate not unlike DE, having lots of microscopic pores. If it does what it claims, it does so as a consumable like DE, not like sand that can be regenerated by simple backwashing. It may be that it works better for a few days or weeks, but after that it is going to turn into more or less plain sand as the pores fill up.
Of course, a lot of the ordinary sand sold for sand filters isn't a particularly optimal blend or mesh sizes for pool filtering, so it may be that this is just better at being ordinary sand (albeit at 10X the price).