Zennis diasppointing

Page 1 of 3
On Feb 01, I ordered a couple pair of eye glasses from Zenni Optical. They arrrived, Feb 21. As they write on the web site, bifocals and complicated lenses take longer. So, the time was about right. And yesterday was a holiday.
I took my Zennis out for a drive. There is fading daylight, but plenty enough to see. The bifocals I bought for "daily wear" are not strong enough to read street signs. Each time I'd had to buy new glasses, it was because I could not read street signs. I'd have to get close, a couple car lengths from the sign, before it was in focuss. Well, guess what, that's exactly what these glasses do. Not enough correction for me to read street signs.
Not much benefit for my money.
I have emailed the Zenni service email adress, and will let you know what I hear. And, I'm going to put my old eye glasses back on.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Hi
You need a new prescription because your new glasses are just as bad as the old ones. With bifocals, you should be able to read street signs clearly through the upper segment of the lens. the lower part of the bifocal lens is for close-up reading at a distance of about 2-5 feet only. At least, my bifocals work that way.
I order my glasses from http://www.eyebuydirect.com/catalog.html . They seem to have the lowest prices on the web and I am very satisfied with their quality. Frameless bifocals run around $ 50, a lot better than what you pay your local optician.
Walter
www.rationality.net
Add pictures here
✖
I got an eye exam, right before sending off for my Zennis. From what I could tell, the eye doctor did excellent job, and the prescription was wonderful.
I'm thinking that the Zenni people didn't do the job correctly. Thank you for the link to your online place. I will take a good look at their web site, and will seriously consider an order.
Hi
You need a new prescription because your new glasses are just as bad as the old ones. With bifocals, you should be able to read street signs clearly through the upper segment of the lens. the lower part of the bifocal lens is for close-up reading at a distance of about 2-5 feet only. At least, my bifocals work that way.
I order my glasses from http://www.eyebuydirect.com/catalog.html . They seem to have the lowest prices on the web and I am very satisfied with their quality. Frameless bifocals run around $ 50, a lot better than what you pay your local optician.
Walter
www.rationality.net
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 21, 6:51 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Maybe a visit back to your eye doctor with the glasses to see if they prescripted it correctly. They should have a machine for testing. Maybe even an optition would do it.
As someone showing signs of early stage AMD, the eye doctor can see it when looking in your eye as little patches called something like drosen. He gave me a grid to look at, you can google one up, and if there appears to be breaks in it I am to call him. Usually loss of central vision. One of my cousins discovered his problem when he could not see his golf ball when teeing off.
Add pictures here
✖

Damn! I can't read anything further than 15'20' away with my bifocals. OTOH, I can't see anything closer than two arms lengths without them. ;-)

I like my frames and can't find new ones worth having, so just keep putting new lenses in my old frames. They aren't as cheap as Zenni but I'd probably go through a set of those a week. ;-) They don't make 'em big enough for my likes, either.
Add pictures here
✖
On 2/21/2012 4:59 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote: ...

Don't know what you thought the bifocal would do for distance--if you sent the same correction as you already had; well you got the same correction back.
If your distance vision isn't corrected enough, you need stronger lenses in the far portion, not the bifocal for such tasks as driving.
As others say, sounds as though you need a real examination; possibly an opthamologist rather than just an optician/optometrist to find any serious problems other than simply aging...
✖
Bifocal doesn't do anything for distance. Bifocal means that there is a smaller section of lens, usually down and towards the center. The smaller section provides a different focus, for doing close work like reading, working on the work bench, or other close vision needs.
It turns out that my new prescription (yes, I went to an eye doctor) is milder than my old one. When the eye doctor had me dialed in, at the machine, my "reading signs" vision was very good. The new glasses don't seem to be the correction I requested.
Don't know what you thought the bifocal would do for distance--if you sent the same correction as you already had; well you got the same correction back.
If your distance vision isn't corrected enough, you need stronger lenses in the far portion, not the bifocal for such tasks as driving.
As others say, sounds as though you need a real examination; possibly an opthamologist rather than just an optician/optometrist to find any serious problems other than simply aging...
Add pictures here
✖
They did the puff of air thing, so I'm guessing that's the glaucoma test.
As to macular, no.
Have you been tested for Glaucoma / Macular degeneration ?
Add pictures here
✖
I'm nearsighted, so reading glasses will only make things worse. You are likely farsighted, if reading glasses help.
I have had two bifocal sets of glasses. They really don't / didn't help me much. I have early stages of Glaucoma. Mom has Macular degeneration, so maybe something hereditary?
What works best for me is a cheap set of reading glasses from the drug store (buy one get one free) usually 1.25 and 1.75 strength.
I don't drive at night much anymore, but the reading glasses help me focus better. Try a pair when driving they may help.
Add pictures here
✖
On Feb 21, 7:18 pm, "Stormin Mormon"

Take your new glasses to where you had your eye examination. They can quickly and very easily (less than 3 minutes) test them to see if the prescription was made into glasses correctly.
Add pictures here
✖
A couple of other people have suggested that same thing. I'll take care of that, next time I get near the store. Which should likely be in a day or two.
Take your new glasses to where you had your eye examination. They can quickly and very easily (less than 3 minutes) test them to see if the prescription was made into glasses correctly.
Add pictures here
✖
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I don't think so.
Testing for glaucoma involves measuring the pressure on the optic nerve. That's done with drops to numb the eye, then a gizmo that presses directly up against your eye and determines the pressure.
Also, a visual field depth test should be done occasionally.
I'm assuming you saw an ophthalmologist rather than an optometrist.

Add pictures here
✖

The "puff of air" thingy is also a test of the intra-eye pressure. The puff of air changes the shape of the eye, which is measured optically. It's not as "icky" as sticking something in the eye.
The eye pressure is an indication of Glaucoma but the eye pressure can be completely "normal" and you can still have Glaucoma. Three doctors tracked my eyes for a couple of years (each) before they decided my optic nerves were just different. My pressure was completely normal, if not low at times.

Not usually. Sun glasses work fine. I always drive myself home after an eye exam.

Nothing wrong with optometrists (ODs). Using an ophthalmologist for a routine eye exam is *way* overkill; sorta like going to a cardiologist for a cold.
Add pictures here
✖
Lane wrote:

Both measure intraocular pressure. The air puff is sort of a down and dirty, not as accurate one.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

How old is your Rx?
Add pictures here
✖
A very good question. I got the eye exam Feb 01, the same day I put in the online order. You are very wise to ask, I'm sure a lot of people get new glasses from an old Rx, and expect to get better correction.
Thanks for asking, you may have saved me a lot of trouble, if I was using an old Rx. I'm sure plenty of people do just that.
How old is your Rx?
Add pictures here
✖
Get a GPS
On 2/21/2012 5:59 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Do they make GPS with large screens, for blind guys like me?
Get a GPS
Add pictures here
✖
If you're truly blind, get a seeing eye dog that can drive. Don't laugh, Subaru sells them, I saw them in their commercial last night.)
Otherwise, if you sit an arms length from a computer screen and can read normal text, I suspect you could read a GPS screen sitting on your dash.
Learn more about GPS www.garmin.com .
On 2/21/2012 8:17 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote: Do they make GPS with large screens, for blind guys like me?
Get a GPS
Add pictures here
✖
On 2/21/2012 8:17 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

You can get a Garmin with a 5 inch screen for maybe $100 and about $30 more for lifetime maps and traffic.
Once you set the gps, you need not look at it since it talks to you.
Hope I'm not telling you something you don't already know.
If you constantly drive around looking for addresses, you're nuts not to have a gps.
Add pictures here
✖