Zennis diasppointing

On Feb 01, I ordered a couple pair of eye glasses from Zenni Optical. They arrrived, Feb 21. As they write on the web site, bifocals and complicated lenses take longer. So, the time was about right. And yesterday was a holiday.

I took my Zennis out for a drive. There is fading daylight, but plenty enough to see. The bifocals I bought for "daily wear" are not strong enough to read street signs. Each time I'd had to buy new glasses, it was because I could not read street signs. I'd have to get close, a couple car lengths from the sign, before it was in focuss. Well, guess what, that's exactly what these glasses do. Not enough correction for me to read street signs.

Not much benefit for my money.

I have emailed the Zenni service email adress, and will let you know what I hear. And, I'm going to put my old eye glasses back on.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hi

You need a new prescription because your new glasses are just as bad as the old ones. With bifocals, you should be able to read street signs clearly through the upper segment of the lens. the lower part of the bifocal lens is for close-up reading at a distance of about 2-5 feet only. At least, my bifocals work that way.

I order my glasses from

. They seem to have the lowest prices on the web and I am very satisfied with their quality. Frameless bifocals run around $ 50, a lot better than what you pay your local optician.

Walter

walter

On 2/21/2012 4:59 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote: ...

Don't know what you thought the bifocal would do for distance--if you sent the same correction as you already had; well you got the same correction back.

If your distance vision isn't corrected enough, you need stronger lenses in the far portion, not the bifocal for such tasks as driving.

As others say, sounds as though you need a real examination; possibly an opthamologist rather than just an optician/optometrist to find any serious problems other than simply aging...

--

Reply to
dpb

They did the puff of air thing, so I'm guessing that's the glaucoma test.

As to macular, no.

.

Have you been tested for Glaucoma / Macular degeneration ?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I got an eye exam, right before sending off for my Zennis. From what I could tell, the eye doctor did excellent job, and the prescription was wonderful.

I'm thinking that the Zenni people didn't do the job correctly. Thank you for the link to your online place. I will take a good look at their web site, and will seriously consider an order.

.

Hi

You need a new prescription because your new glasses are just as bad as the old ones. With bifocals, you should be able to read street signs clearly through the upper segment of the lens. the lower part of the bifocal lens is for close-up reading at a distance of about 2-5 feet only. At least, my bifocals work that way.

I order my glasses from

. They seem to have the lowest prices on the web and I am very satisfied with their quality. Frameless bifocals run around $ 50, a lot better than what you pay your local optician.

Walter

Stormin Mormon

How old is your Rx?

Reply to
JIMMIE

Bifocal doesn't do anything for distance. Bifocal means that there is a smaller section of lens, usually down and towards the center. The smaller section provides a different focus, for doing close work like reading, working on the work bench, or other close vision needs.

It turns out that my new prescription (yes, I went to an eye doctor) is milder than my old one. When the eye doctor had me dialed in, at the machine, my "reading signs" vision was very good. The new glasses don't seem to be the correction I requested.

.

Don't know what you thought the bifocal would do for distance--if you sent the same correction as you already had; well you got the same correction back.

If your distance vision isn't corrected enough, you need stronger lenses in the far portion, not the bifocal for such tasks as driving.

As others say, sounds as though you need a real examination; possibly an opthamologist rather than just an optician/optometrist to find any serious problems other than simply aging...

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Reply to
Myopic

A very good question. I got the eye exam Feb 01, the same day I put in the online order. You are very wise to ask, I'm sure a lot of people get new glasses from an old Rx, and expect to get better correction.

Thanks for asking, you may have saved me a lot of trouble, if I was using an old Rx. I'm sure plenty of people do just that.

.

How old is your Rx?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Do they make GPS with large screens, for blind guys like me?

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm nearsighted, so reading glasses will only make things worse. You are likely farsighted, if reading glasses help.

.

I have had two bifocal sets of glasses. They really don't / didn't help me much. I have early stages of Glaucoma. Mom has Macular degeneration, so maybe something hereditary?

What works best for me is a cheap set of reading glasses from the drug store (buy one get one free) usually 1.25 and 1.75 strength.

I don't drive at night much anymore, but the reading glasses help me focus better. Try a pair when driving they may help.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If you're truly blind, get a seeing eye dog that can drive. Don't laugh, Subaru sells them, I saw them in their commercial last night.)

Otherwise, if you sit an arms length from a computer screen and can read normal text, I suspect you could read a GPS screen sitting on your dash.

Learn more about GPS

.

On 2/21/2012 8:17 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote: Do they make GPS with large screens, for blind guys like me?

.

Reply to
Myopic

Take your new glasses to where you had your eye examination. They can quickly and very easily (less than 3 minutes) test them to see if the prescription was made into glasses correctly.

Reply to
hrhofmann

A couple of other people have suggested that same thing. I'll take care of that, next time I get near the store. Which should likely be in a day or two.

.

Take your new glasses to where you had your eye examination. They can quickly and very easily (less than 3 minutes) test them to see if the prescription was made into glasses correctly.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Astigmatism?? Doesn't sound like you have cataracts. I'm practically an eye doctor having had my cataracts removed 6 months ago and going thru a lot of testing and my wife just had one eye done this week and having the 2nd done next week. So I've been educated a lot on eye care lately. If it helps bifocals are made so the top portion is for distance and the small bottom portion is for reading books or stuff (not road signs). You should be able to read the signs thru the upper portion of your bifocals.

Reply to
Doug

Yes, my last two eye exams, they found that I needed axis and sphere correction, for astigmatism. I did try covering one eye and then the other -- both were under corrected, and fuzzy for reading street signs.

I agree, I should be able to read the road signs through the top lens. I should be able to see farther than 6 inches or so, through the bottoms.

.

Astigmatism?? Doesn't sound like you have cataracts. I'm practically an eye doctor having had my cataracts removed 6 months ago and going thru a lot of testing and my wife just had one eye done this week and having the 2nd done next week. So I've been educated a lot on eye care lately. If it helps bifocals are made so the top portion is for distance and the small bottom portion is for reading books or stuff (not road signs). You should be able to read the signs thru the upper portion of your bifocals.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It would be more interesting and equally appropriate to read here how you keep mistaking Usenet for Facebook. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

In that case, I have to agree with some other posters... bring your glasses in to see if they correctly match your prescription.

Reply to
Doug

Maybe a visit back to your eye doctor with the glasses to see if they prescripted it correctly. They should have a machine for testing. Maybe even an optition would do it.

As someone showing signs of early stage AMD, the eye doctor can see it when looking in your eye as little patches called something like drosen. He gave me a grid to look at, you can google one up, and if there appears to be breaks in it I am to call him. Usually loss of central vision. One of my cousins discovered his problem when he could not see his golf ball when teeing off.

Reply to
Frank

How do I click to make you a friend?

.