zap noise in kitchen ???

hope someone can help, thanksinadvance
iit only happens between 12pm and 6pm, strange huh ?
sounds like an amplified mouse trap, and startles the dickens out of me
sounds like electrical discharge but i cant pinpoint it by ear
should i check all the plugs for a loose wire ? anyone ever run across this ?
im stumped
any help appreciated
johnpat

You got an electronic air filter?
hi BP, thanks for reply
nope no air filter except for the one in the furnace which i cleaned
could a wire loose on an electrical plug cause a static buildup and discharge i wonder ?
BP wrote:

might be the fridge, like freezer going into defrost cycle???

didn't, a condition like that could start a fire. My next guess is going to be a capacitor in an appliance: fridge or microwave. If it is old and leaking it could cause such a noise.
Basic troubleshooting, start by unplugging EVERYTHING you can, and see if noise still occurs, leave dishwasher door ajar so you know thats not it.
now any noise tonight?
my guess is the fridge....
If all else fails move the fridge to another room and see if the noise moves with it
hi, and thanks again
i unplugged both the fridge and the microwave but the zap noise continued
i plugged them in different plugs now, but still continues
i will try unplugging for a longer time to see if maybe some buildup needs to dissipate
still stumped
john
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

johnpat patton wrote:

You could start turning off circuit breakers one of a few at a time to see if that will he ID it.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
John do you have a gas range?
The electronic ignition for the burners in ours would occasionally make a zap when the humidity is up, even if the burners are off. Problem was water getting into the controls when wiping them clean. After they dry the problem goes away.
Just my $.02
Fred
johnpat patton wrote:

Check your smoke detector batteries
--
Free men own guns, slaves don\'t
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
johnpat patton wrote:

Ice maker having trouble dumping the ice or rotating the tray?
--
Thank you,

I would turn off a bunch of breakers tonight to narrow it down......
what kind of heat do you have? forced air you mighht be hearing a duct flex
anything in the basement under the kitchen that might generate noise like a freezer?
be sure to power back on everything essential you unplug so you dont lose a frezzer full of food or something
I had a GFI plug that went wonky and made a similar noise to the fridge clicking. I changed the GFI plug, it was definitely the culprit..noise gone. However my fridge clicking into defrost mode is a distinct noise, almost like a mouse trap sound. Perry

Refigerators have timer clocks to go into defrost mode, Our old dishwasher would click hours after it was done. Turn off one circuit a day
wow, thanks to all your resposes
im going to go with the turn off circuit breakers approach during next week
i promise to post back end of next week to let you know
havagudn
m Ransley wrote:

well, it simply went away !
leads me to believe some kind of static buildup, either that or a poltergeist ; )
thanks again to all johnpat