Zanussi Washer Dryer not drying

Model no ZWD1470W. Dryer not working properly - although the air appears to be heating slightly, it's nothing like as hot as it should be to dry the clothes.
Any clues where to start looking great appreciated. I'm a competent BBC engineer, but don't know anything about the insides of washing machines. I guess there's likely to be a problem with either an o/c element or a thermostat?
TIA,
Steve

best place to look is outside at space for a washing line.
Or...http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Clothes_Dryer
NT
LOL - thankfully we already have that backup option!

Thanks - will have a read.
Steve

A fault I have seen on two washer-dryers (not your model, though) is in the condenser/filter box (not sure what it is really called) on the outlet as the outlet hose exits the case.
This box fills with lint, scale and other resudues over time. The air and water flow during drying gradually reduces. Eventually the overheat thermostat on the heater/blower operates and drying fails. If the overheat themostat is self-resetting, drying failure is intermittent.
I have had success with just cleaning the rubbish out of this box.
You might want to check this. Also maybe check if the overheat thermostat needs re-setting (or replacing); or check if the dryer heater element has gone.
--
John Phillips

Thank you John, will check!
Steve

Just as a follow-up for other people, the problem turned out to be that the plastic container/duct linking the blower on the heater manifold to the drum was clogged up with wet, compacted lint.
I had to turn the machine upside down, undo the short, thick hose from the translucent duct up the side of the machine, pop it off and then rod out the lint out using a length of plastic hose attached to my Dyson vac with gaffer tape. Took me about half an hour of trying to blindly force the hose into all the various channels inside the duct before I was convinced that I'd got most of it out. Once reconnected, all worked perefectly again.
The hose was an absolute pig to get back on, until I got the right technique - then of course it took about five seconds! These modern machines are *really* not designed to be serviced!
Steve
Hi, I've got a Zanussi wjd1667 w thats not drying and suspect that its the condenser filled with fluff as well. Anyone any ideas on how to get at the condenser on one of these ?
tks. :?
Just adding to the info here, almost a decade on since that first post and I'm still keeping that same machine going!
Rather than do what I describe above, I subsequently realised how easy it w as to remove the back of the machine to get much better access. Turn off po wer and water and remove the hose. Remove the lid by taking out the two scr ews and the back and sliding the lid back an inch to release it. Remove pla stic caps at lower sides and undo the two bolts. Undo one bolt top back, th ree at bottom. Undo the rear two bolts (of four in a row) on either side at the top. Unclip the water/power entry panel and lift it up to free it, the n slide off the entire back of the machine.
To remove the condenser box, undo the jubilee clip on the hose near the bot tom. Unclip and pull out the rectangular water entry pipe from the top of t he condenser box. Lift the big circular blower assembly upwards to free it from the condenser (you won't break it) and bend and pull the condenser fre e. Once it's free of the blower, a sharp tug will free it from the machine and you can then use a hose pipe to wash all the crap out of it. Also clear out the black flexible pipe with the jubilee clip and remove dried on lint from the temperature sensor inside it. Terrible bit of design really, no f luff filter in the machine, so I've had to do this every couple of years.
The other things I've had to change are the belt on the blower and a couple of times the three-way valve on the inlet has stopped letting water into t he condenser - I've just ordered a second new one. Motor brushes needed rep lacing last year, but after about 11 years that was hardly a surprise. Also the paddles inside the drum broke up and I replaced those, which is a bit fiddly and I documented how to do that here: http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/ forumsphpbb3/zanussi-zwd1470w-drum-paddle-replacement-t85147.html
I hope this thread continues to be of use to others.