Your Tree Falls on a Neighbor's Shed

Page 6 of 6
Good post and I would add that in NC if your insurance company makes a business decision to pay a claim that you don't feel they should pay and your rates will go up as a result, you are screwed. Once they offer to pay they are off the hook even though you don't think they should and longterm it might cost you money due to a rate increase. On the otherhand if they refuse to settle a suit that is under your coverage and in court you lose the liability suit and it is above the coverage limits, they may have to pay the extra amount for refusing to settle the case.

snipped-for-privacy@excite.com (cassini) wrote in message

I appreciate all the helpful advice. We borrowed a tractor and removed the tree. I will call my agent Monday (6 days after the event) and get his opinion. The problem is that I don't know how the expenses might snowball at this point. I'm willing to repair the roof but if the neighbor insists on a new roof I'm not sure I will want to comply. The roof is tin and old and patched. There is also a question of water damage -- which relates to whether the roof was leaking before the tree fell. The base of the tree was dead on 1/3 of its diameter but it was not located where this would be easily noticed. That part of the lot is essentially idle land. Thanks to all. Dave
the

You have reached the crux of the matter. How to be reasonable without being a bulldozer or a doormat. Most disputes among friendly neighbors are handled with "whatever's fair" attitude. And then it goes from there.
You will have this neighbor for a while. It may be economical to pay a little more now and buy peace for the long term. This doesn't mean that you will keep him on your Christmas card list, or grab his garbage cans when you see them going down the street in a gale, or, for that matter, ever show him another neighborly kindness. Or even call 911 when you see smoke at his house or see suspicious activity while he's at a hockey game in town.
Only good friendly neighbors do those things. Lead off with the "Let's be good neighbors and share this thing" speech, and then adjust from there depending on his attitude.
Steve

This is Turtle.
I would do nothing unless ask by the neighbor as to being a problem. The less you know the better off you are and if the damage was a big lost. you would hope the neighbor would call his insurance agent and have it fixed. What your thinking is the neighbor might sue you for the damages maybe. Don't worry about it if you have insurance on your house for there is coverage for messing up other peoples property built into your policy. All he can get from your insurance company is the deductiable he paid for before his insurance company started paying. But if he does sue you , you stay out of it and let the insurance companys fight over it. They are good at fighting over payments for damage.
TURTLE