Your tax dollars at work: Texas police have $300k drone helicopter

Page 2 of 2

Have you seen the drones that flap 'wings', look like a bird, so go unnoticed? wonder if they'll go after one of those?
It is my understanding that the City of San Jose, California very proudly added to their tools for crowd control, low frequency vibration equipment !! Although deemed 'safe', like a stun gun, there is a potential for lethality.
More importantly, why does the city of San Jose need crowd control?! the most docile city, the city most accepting of c*** in the world? Just WHAT is govt planning to shove down our throats next?
On 11/16/2011 10:18 PM, Home Guy wrote:

It would help to set your hatred of the US aside and think objectively.
You do know that big cities already have aerial observation platforms in the form of much more expensive to operate helicopters? If you were trying to be prudent with tax dollars do you think accomplishing many of those missions with less expensive equipment would be a good thing?

Careful, HomeGuy could be the infamous Canadian foot chopper! (-:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/09/04/human-feet-washing-up-on-shore-in-british-columbia-canada.html

In addition, they make less of a mess when they fall out of the sky and land on something. It's a win/win situation. You don't lose a pilot/co-pilot, you don't lose a million dollar chopper and you don't get sued by the survivors or relatives of people crushed in a crash. Police departments will still need choppers in large cities for tasks that can't be done by drones. I don't think drones can support "night sun" floodlights or carry sharpshooters or canine units, but I'm sure they'll have their uses. If I know cops, within months they'll have a accurate database of every attractive nude roof sunbather in the area.
-- Bobby G.

Probably a "silicone" detector, too.
-- Bobby G.
George wrote:

It would help if you didn't equate objective criticism with hatred. I know that's hard for an American to do when the citicism is about you, because your shit never stinks now does it?

Anything that really requires a manned police helicopter will never be done by this drone.
What this drone will do are things that are non-emergency in nature and I bet it will spend 99% of the time on the ground, and the police force in question will continue to operate it's helicopter and pay it's pilot his full wage.

Do you really believe the existing police helicopter has been sold off, and the pilot's employment terminated?
Home Guy wrote:

If it finds one lost kid in the vase TX landscape before he starves/freezes/is eaten by rabid feral hogs, it's paid for itself. If it avoids a crash of a full sized heli with crew when surveying one of the many large grass/wildfires that occur in TX it's paid for itself.

Good points!
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Sounds outragious unless you actually bother to look into the details and the alternatives. Montgomery County is a rather large heavily wooded county. The alternatives for police would be to put a multi- million dollar helicopter into the air manned by an officer using a lot of very expensive fuel. The drone can be operated for hours for less cost than getting a manned helicopter into the air. There should be a substantial savings to the taxpayers of Montgomery county over the life of that drone.

From what I have been reading, they have come a long way in the last few years. A lot of new materials and a lot of new technology have greatly increased their air time and range.

Home Guy wrote:

Yes. Montgomery County just suffered a major fire this summer, that would have helped.
--

"I don't like to discriminate against terrorists based on nationality.
If you declare war on the United States and you want to kill us,
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Yep, spotting evac. routes, hot-spots (FLIR cams.), stranded folks, car accident victims, gang surveillance. For the price of 1 regular helo (Plus 2 crew) they can have a dozen of these. It also floods quite a bit in Montgomery County (not this year by a mile!). These would be great for spotting flash flood victims (maybe even dropping a line with a life preserver). Its also in hurricane alley.
--

"I don't like to discriminate against terrorists based on nationality.
If you declare war on the United States and you want to kill us,
Home Guy wrote:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/11/16/drone-gives-texas-law-enforcement-birds-eye-view-on-crime /
Well, the needs of Montgomery County are not great. It's mostly rural and the largest town is Conroe, Texas (pop 37,000). There are only 55,000 people in the whole county.
So, if you're the government of the county, and are blessed with $142,000,000 (or whatever) of free federal money, you've got to find SOMETHING to spend it on.
Aside:
I remember listening to a radio call from the Harris County Sheriff's Office (SO) car to the Montgomery county dispatcher.
"Montgomery county SO, Harris County 53" "Harris County 53, go ahead" "I am in pursuit of a fast mover approaching the river bridge on Interstate 45. Speeds in excess of 120" "Harris County 53, SLOW IT DOWN, boy, he ain't gonna make the curve!" (one minute passes) "Montgomery county, Harris County 53. My suspect has TAed. He's about 200 feet into a plowed field." "Harris county 53. I done told ya he would. I've got wreckers, an ambulance, and one of my units enroute. Have a nice day."
Well, maybe you had to be there...