YOUR policy on Xmas lights

Bah, humbug. I don't eat turkey either.

Reply to
dadiOH

I don't see the point of trying to light or heat up the outside world - the xmas lights stay indoors...

Reply to
Jules

The light are for the kids. I don't have any kids and the neighbors who had kids moved away, so no more kids around to hang them for.

Other than that, I view it as a luxury. And my policy is to cut out all needless expenses until all my credit cards are paid off. All my bills are paid.

I look at the interest I am paying each month on credit cards (on statement). This is money going out the window. So I want to use every penny to pay this off as soon as possible! No Christmas lights this year...

(If the kids were still around, I would hang them though...)

Reply to
Bill

"Bill" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

And you wonder why the neighbors with kids moved away...

Reply to
Red Green

I *have* to put up Christmas Lights.

I spend almost an entire weekend setting up the gravestones, ghosts and scarecrow picnic for Halloween. Halloween night, half a bloody scarecrow goes under the lawnmower and the beheaded one sits in a chair with an old chain saw. The speakers go in the upstairs window and the spooky sounds start right after sunset.

If I do that much work for Halloween and then don't bust my butt for Christmas, I believe that there will be lightning, floods, famine and pestilence befalling my household.

You really don't want to piss God off!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

PLONK!

Visit from Auntie Flo?

Reply to
Master Betty

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 06:56:10 -0800, "Bill" wrote Re Re: YOUR policy on Xmas lights:

That would be murder. Only a court of competent jurisdiction can hang children.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Gee, I wonder why my feelings aren't hurt...

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I have one string of white under the front porch all year. It makes very nice mood lighting, especially in the summer when we might be out on the porch after dark. I have no real christmas lights, can't hardly see the house from the road. Besides, my christmas spirit is filled looking at other peoples lights so I don't need my own.

Reply to
Tony

The Supremes in the US have said you can't hang anyone under 18 at the time of the offense.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

You mean that your usent posts won't appear on one computer, in one house, in one town, in one city, in one state, in one nation. Somehow, your life is essentially unchanged. I've had that same experience, when someone hurls the dreaded "plonk" at me. So? Who cares? Maybe you and I are both callous and unfeeling?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Certain selected juries might return no indictment.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

LMFAO! I didn't get it at first.

Reply to
Tony

Earlier generations sacrificed virgins, sheep, firstlings, and so on. We sacrifice Christmas tree bulbs. About the time Jews put a Menorah in the window, and I'll admit. I'm not sure what Islam does in the winter. Daily fasting for Ramadan? I should know that kind of thing.

Will I get plonked? The h, I will!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Wait till you read what he does with kittens....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Plonking is forbidden by The Book of Mormon.

Reply to
Master Betty

No outdoor lights. Ever. When we see a house all lit up, we start humming the "Rocky & Bullwinkle" theme and thinking about used car lots.

The Christmas tree in the bay window on the front of the house is enough. And stockings hung by the chimney with nails. (Hung from the mantel, actually.)

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I do shit when I have to do shit. I do put up a string of little white lights along the eaves of the house, though, because it looks neat. I do it for me. Cuz *I* like it.

The only problem is that the lights are now made in China and only last a season (if that). Used to be, you'd spend $20 bucks on a nice string, and you'd get a decade out of them.

Now you spend a couple bucks and they barely last a season (and they're too close together, too - makes it less neato to do up a tree).

For the hassle in putting them up, I'd rather not chintz out on the initial cost.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

"Steve B" wrote

My husband is the one who gets a kick out of them and he puts them up. We have simple ones and little clips (clear plastic) in the eves so he just uses a regular ladder. Single story place.

Reply to
cshenk