YOUR policy on Xmas lights

Page 1 of 3

Just spent a blustery day in forty acre ranch putting up Christmas lights. That was after two days of testing countless strings and changing dozens of lights. Broke two nails and my manicure looks terrible.
I told my wife two years ago that I would not put up Christmas lights again. Last year, she acted like she didn't even hear me, and we ended up going to Hawaii anyway, so weren't even here to see our lights. Out of spite, I left them up till Fouth of July.
This is work for an old fart who ain't supposed to be on the roof. Heart surgery, broken back, balance problems. Temperature 40 and the wind blowing 30 all day. Wife sez, let the Mexicans do all the roof stuff.
So, they go up there, and when daisy chaining lights, can't figure out not to leave two live leads sticking out on the end of a chain! Can't figure out how to configure cords, MOS's and timers, either, so who has to go up on the roof to make sure someone doesn't burn down the house?
In the meantime, I got other money making projects lined out the door, and I got to waste a week on Christmas lights total.
What's YOUR policy on Xmas lights. Next year, it ain't gonna be pretty anywhere around my house.
This IS the last year.
Steve

I hate them. My wife is starting to come around. This year we're down to a tree and a door wreath.
Jim

I put up a string of white mini - LEDs a few years ago. I unplug the timer on Jan 6 and plug it back in on about Dec 3.

I've noticed more and more people leaving them up year round, and just plugging them in at Xmas. Heh, perty ingenious, if you ask me....
--
EA

> Steve

Existential Angst wrote:

No kids, no SWMBO, so I don't do tree or lights. And last few years, I am out of town last half of Dec anyway. On the spec list for the dream house I will build after I hit the Lotto, is built-in under-eave lighting of the appropriate colors for whatever holiday. Just hit a switch, and there you are.
-- aem sends...

Haven't done them for 15 years. Some of the neighbors must put in a separate meter to run their display. I am not even going to try and compete.
Colbyt
Steve B wrote:

Hi, 2 story house here, I quit going up on the roof now. Also not a good idea walking newly done tile roof.(wife accepted this excuse, LOL!) No more old bulbs. Switched to all LED of sparkling tpye and light ropes. Just did it on time before cold snap coming down from North. Last night it was close to minus 20C. When this cold our dog comes inside. I had to wash him at the dog wash today. I don't ake down strings at cabin. I have to gout there this week end and plug them in. Couple years ago one of my neighbor fell from his ladder and broke his leg and suffered a concusion.
Local guys who does the job charge 250.00 to 7500.00 including P&L.

Your wife is trying to get you killed. Tell her to put up the lights or deal with the hired help. And make sure her life insurance is paid up.

I don't decorate for any season. Period. I couldn't care less and neither does DH. The only "seasonal" decorating I do is change the the colors of the tablecloths and napkins I use for entertaining. No trees, lights, bunnies, pumpkins, shamrocks, hearts, flags, wreaths, well, you get the idea. The only "seasonal" thing we do is swap the screens for glass in the storm doors and replace the deck furniture with snow shovels.

When she's not around run them over and smash them up. Well, take them off the house, first.
Steve B wrote:

What Xmas?
I will occasionally put up very basic New Years lights along the roofline if there is someone around to see them. One story house and nearly all of it can be reached from ground level, just a basic 6' step ladder needed to reach one peak.
I put electric candles in my windows. I bought the kind that's photo sensitive. Is that what it's called? They are the type of lights that come on when it gets dark and go off in the daylight.
Tho I don't recommend if you have cats or small dogs running about the house. I was dog sitting and the puppy liked to run behind the sofa and she kept running past the wires and knocking down the lights. One time I found the light tilted against the curtain where it caused a burn mark. Needless to say, during the time she was in my house, I removed the lights.

I feel your pain...SWMBO ALWAYS waits till it's cold to put them up...Doing it now though it has been very unseasonably warm this year here in Maine...Usually by now it only gets up to 25 F during the day...Today it was 60...LOL...It's my lucky year except the lights are a PITA...Damn things....First they work then I get them up and they stop working...Had to go get some of those small fuses that go into the plug....URRGGGHHHH.....My dad puts up quite a display but he gets his up in Oct. when it's warm...

I put a spotlight on the front door wreath. The outside receptacle is switched inside where it is warm. My wife puts a single candle in each window. She turns them on, she turns them off.
I don't do outdoor lights.
On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 16:46:32 -0800, "Steve B"

I gave my wife a 20a receptacle for her lights and told her to go have fun. I will be in here watching the ball game.
The only problem she seems to have is getting them strung with the right end toward the receptacle. I guess it is a woman problem. She can't get the concept that the power goes to the male end. ;-)
In an effort to make peace and get the job done the first time I told her to think of it that the power comes FROM the female end and that is the thing on the wall. She got them in right this year..

Hmmm. I've read through the replies so far. What I got out of them is for a buch of people who like to do shit we really don't do shit.
BTW, I don't do shit either.

I do whatever she asks.
I just completed an 8 hour job she asked for 2 years ago.
It was the least I could do, so I did it. -----
- gpsman
Red Green wrote:

I do shit when I have to do shit. I do put up a string of little white lights along the eaves of the house, though, because it looks neat. I do it for me. Cuz *I* like it.
The only problem is that the lights are now made in China and only last a season (if that). Used to be, you'd spend $20 bucks on a nice string, and you'd get a decade out of them.
Now you spend a couple bucks and they barely last a season (and they're too close together, too - makes it less neato to do up a tree).
For the hassle in putting them up, I'd rather not chintz out on the initial cost.
Jon

re: "Used to be, you'd spend $20 bucks on a nice string, and you'd get a decade out of them. "
I saw some "commercial grade" at Home Depot for something like $14 next to the $5.99 sets.
I wonder if they're worth > twice the price.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Hmmm, thanks for the tip, I've been reticent to buy another pack from walmart, might hafta try some of those....
Jon