Your Opinions On "Smart Meters"

Page 5 of 5
Paul Drahn wrote:

Heh!
As I type this, I'm waiting for CenterPoint to flip a switch at Electricity Central HQ to turn off the power to the other half of my duplex.
It will be done without a visit from any of their employees. I've had it done before and they promise the action within six hours of my request.
Of course I'm not in Washington state. Things in Washington are done differently, such as not using salt on the city street ice to avoid posioning the nearby Pacific Ocean.
On 4/17/2012 18:23, HeyBub wrote:

I suspect that power utilities have different procedures for disconnecting service for customer requests or non-payment. People who involuntarily lost electrical service tend to do things like lighting lots of candles or bringing barbecues indoors, resulting in property damage, injury, or death. It doesn't look good for the utility.

I was driving from the airport in Seattle a few years back. They had just gotten some light snow, maybe an inch. Boy, what a disaster. Accidents everywhere, cars in ditches. Being from the NYC area, I thought it was because they probably don't get much snow and don't know how to drive. But maybe there were other factors.....
On 4/17/2012 2:09 PM, Paul Drahn wrote:

The meter would have to have contacts or electronics that could switch 100 or more amps to remotely turn off the service. I have real doubts that feature is built into any smart meter.

The absolutely standard way of making a single phase 120/240V meter is to have a current coil in series with each of the legs and a voltage coil across 240V. It accurately meters the total power being used. The technology has been around for a real long time. It is highly improbable the utility used a meter that was any different. IMHO it is much more likely the electrician is wrong.
--
bud--

in phoenix some fiancially challenged realtives have pay as you go meters. after habitually having power cut off.......
buy a preaid power card at a store, insert in meter get so many dollars of electric.
it must have a way to authenicate the card is valid. so 2 way communication has to be involved
family reports a loud click when the meter turns off or on.........
presumably theres a high capacity contactor in the meters base to turn the power off or on

PSE&G (north Jersey) is advertising big savings if you let them install a new thermostat (sdsupposedly fancy), and let them control your A/C somehow remotely, 15 min off and on. Since I have trouble believing what ths particular utility does, I'm no game (yet).
--
Best regards
Han
On 4/18/2012 2:05 PM, bud-- wrote:

Well zap those doubts away:
http://www.trilliantinc.com/solutions/metering/remote-connect-disconnect
Like they say: Google, over one gazillion arguments settled.
bud-- wrote:

Here's a 200Amp Thyristor on Ebay for $22.00.
It's trivial to switch that much current.

Switching it efficiently is a little harder.