Your Opinions On "Smart Meters"

Page 2 of 5
Stormin Mormon wrote:

That's the idea, 90% silver in coins to be used as real silver, gold for more expensive items. Also guns, ammo and whiskey. A lot of Americans could live a good 3 months on their stored fat.
So, everyone is hungry. I've got food, and you've got shiny pieces of metal with faces on them. You gonna be hungry to the end, fellah. When the stores are empty, my food might be bartered, or even given away (particularly to children, who are innocent of their parents problems). But, not sold. Thy money perish with thee.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

End of civilization stuff. Interesting to think about. Things would probably go somewhat like this. http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/leningrad.htm
That's a thought provoking article. Sadly, it also comes with one of the most obnoxious slide in ads I've ever seen. The print version is much better for me. http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/pfleningrad.htm I'm guessing the folks in Leningrad at that time would have preferred a truck full of chicken soup, opposed to a truck load of silver coins.
"Mr. Austerity" <"PrintMo.Money "> wrote in message news:4f8d4f60$0$2235
End of civilization stuff. Interesting to think about. Things would probably go somewhat like this. http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/leningrad.htm
Having your emergency money in a bank is like having your fire extinguisher in a storage unit, across town. Which storage unit is only accessable during business hours.
Dumb.

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 18:25:35 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Depends on what you consider "emergency" money. Need to quickly replace a failed appliance? There is a reserve in the bank to cover that easily. Need actual hard cash? I keep a minimal amount in the house and never had need to have a pile of it. I can get $800 from the ATM pretty much 24 hours a day. If I see an impending storm and want cash, I get it beforehand.
Never had a car break down where a credit card did not work.
On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 18:25:35 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"

Credit card.
After some disasters, like hurricanes. The power is out, so the credit card doesn't do much. In moments like that,
1) Best is to have what you need at home, purchased long before the disaster 2) If you need something, and it's available, cash is the way to pay.
Credit card.
On 04/17/12 08:59 am, Metspitzer wrote:

Which cannot be used when there is a widespread power outage: the card-readers won't work.
Perce
In an uber wide spread, catastrophic problem. Some people will wonder if the system will ever recover. So, people may be unwilling to accept plastic. On the chance that Visa and MC will not come back to life.

Which cannot be used when there is a widespread power outage: the card-readers won't work.
Perce
Duesenberg wrote:

You're right, and a credit card will cover 99.9% of contingencies.
It won't cover "Your money or your life" scenarios (middle of the night plumbing problem, wrecker charge to remove car stuck in your bedroom leaking gasoline, etc.).

Or bribes.

One word; plastics.

I have a few grand in cash, too. Never know when a nice pistol will show up cheap. ;-)

The electric utilities are not the only ones driving the installation of smart meters. Energy advocates like them too. The smart meters offer a way to reduce electric utility peak loads and that means building fewer power plants. Saving money with time-of-day metering is one thing, but the utility's ability to shed load when they're at capacity is something that they will pay for -- and already do -- too.
Tomsic
Someone posted
"They may not warrant doing it, but utilities are doing it and offering different rates at different times of the day to residential customers. That is nothing new. Here in NJ the utility was doing that 50 years ago. The offered a substantially lower rate at night for water heaters."
We lived in NJ 50 years ago, and had a clocked water heater meter. Only trouble was, we had so many power outages that the clock was rarely set to the correct time and so we always had to go outside and look at the meter to see when we could heat hot water. We didn't complain to the power company because there was nothing they could do except set it right and pray fopr no more power failures.
On Sun, 15 Apr 2012 09:28:19 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

I'd start here or a place similar http://www.electricchoice.com/electricity-prices-by-state.php If you want more detail, it is a matter of public record and easily found.
How do they read "Smart Meters"?
I've heard two different stories on this.
1. They can read my usage anytime, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, and do so right at the power company. Supposedly the signal is sent via the power lines to their office.
2. They can only read these meters by driving past the residence or business where the meter is located, the signal is sent by a radio wave and is limited to a certain number of feet from the meter, which they read once a month by driving past homes with their meters. The vehicles they drive have a receiver to read them.
Which of these is true?
--
This brings up another thought.....
What would happen if I removed my "Smart meter"? Would an alarm go off
snipped-for-privacy@toyotamail.com wrote:

I've had a 'remote reading' electric and gas meter here in W Los Angeles for some years now.
They drive by to read them... every 2 months for the electric, and once a month for the gas.
The guy that installed the electric meter said they might want to inspect it from time to time, but so far haven't. I have never cut the seals and removed it, but have turned the power off a time or two to do maintenance. It has a small visible antenna within it's glass enclosure.
I googled and found out that the electric meter will remember and 'blow the whistle' next time it's read should it 'think' it's been tampered with. There wasn't a lot of detail, but being subjected to a strong magnetic field was disclosed to be at least one trigger parameter.
Far as the gas goes, all the installer clown knew was that it generates it's own battery charge current somehow from the actual gas flow, and that it's read via street drive by.
I've seen both the electric and gas reader trucks driving by.
The water meter is still read manually.
Here's more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_Meter_Reading
Erik

What gets me is that my electric meter pole is located at the middle of my farm, which is 3/4 mile from the road. Yet I never see anyone from the power company come down here, except once a year when they check the wires and look for fallen or damaged trees near the wires. Unless there is a storm and wire problems. I dont think the meter signal can go that distance, but I could be wrong.
On Apr 19, 8:41am, snipped-for-privacy@toyotamail.com wrote:

We don't have smart meters for electric here in NJ yet. But I've had the drive by type of water meter for 10+ years. The water utility swapped them all out to save money on reading them. I've also had a radio controlled device on my AC for 20 years. The electric utility can send out a signal to turn off the compressor on days they need to shed some load. They used to pay a flat fee, I think $20 a year, to customers that chose to have them installed. A few years ago they changed to paying I think $3 each time they activate it. The old system worked better as they only do it a few times a year.
With the radio control gizmo, they claim it doesn't effect your cooling because they only turn it off for short periods. I'm not sure I understand how exactly that benefits them much. You would think that the AC's would all be cycling on and off randomly anyway and the only way to reduce the energy usage would be cycle them off more, hence the temp would have to rise. Or alternatively, there may be a lot of ACs on peak demand periods that run constantly. But again, if you cycle them off, you aren't going to get as much cooling out.
I've never had any issues or even noticed it happening. But again, they only do it a few days a year and you don't really notice or have any way of knowing it's happening.
I think with smart electric meters to do some of the things that they are capable of would require at least one way real time communication, eg this load shedding concept. They also obviously need to keep the clock inside it set correctly.